iTunes won't sync, can't re-authorize...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoffmant, Aug 27, 2009.

1. hoffmant macrumors member

Jun 13, 2008
    All of a sudden, iTunes won't sync with my iPhone. The error message I get says that this computer isn't authorized to sync with the phone.

When I try to deauthorize or authorize the computer under the Store menu in iTunes, it tells me that the directory can't be found or the permissions are incorrect... I've already repaired permissions twice, and that hasn't fixed anything.

When I tried to restore iTunes from a Time Machine backup from earlier this week, I'm told that I don't have permission to do so!

What's going on??? We did switch the e-mail address that's linked to our iTunes account, but we did that weeks ago and I haven't had any problems until now. My wife can sync her iPod Touch on her MacBook just fine. I'm completely at a loss...
  2. hoffmant thread starter macrumors member

Jun 13, 2008
    Thank you so much! That did it.

I still had to restore iTunes from my Time Machine backup (and manually change some permissions to do so--my Applications folder was set to read only?!?) because iTunes wouldn't open at all after I re-created the Shared folder.

Everything seems to be working now, though. I still have no idea what happened to mess things up so badly. I changed anything that I can think of...

Thanks again!