Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a new song added in my iTunes (it's a song you can't purchase anywhere so I ripped it off of YouTube) and it won't sync to my phone.

Ever since I downloaded this new iTunes. Anyone know what's going on?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
If you sync from Summary, no it won't. Go to Device music and sync from there.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
If you sync from Summary, no it won't. Go to Device music and sync from there.

I tried that. For some reason, under "On My Device" it doesn't show all of my music, just some. And even some of those songs are dimmed out with a circle next to them.

Last edited:

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Provided that all your songs are in your iTunes music library, double click one of those dimmed out songs you see in the music on your Device. This will force iTunes to recognize and sync all the dimmed out songs on to your phone.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Provided that all your songs are in your iTunes music library, double click one of those dimmed out songs you see in the music on your Device. This will force iTunes to recognize and sync all the dimmed out songs on to your phone.

I did that, still does nothing. All of my songs are in my library, but only a fraction of them are displayed under "On My Device".

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Pick a couple of songs that are not displayed on your Device and try to play them in iTunes music. There's a chance that iTunes can't play them cause it can't locate them in which case they'll be marked with something like an exclamation mark. It happens when you transfer music to iTunes from different files/folders. A window will pop up and you'll have to manually locate the file/s where the specific songs are stored on your computer. It will then ask if you'd like to locate more songs. Click yes.
I had the same problem and it worked for me.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Pick a couple of songs that are not displayed on your Device and try to play them in iTunes music. There's a chance that iTunes can't play them cause it can't locate them in which case they'll be marked with something like an exclamation mark. It happens when you transfer music to iTunes from different files/folders. A window will pop up and you'll have to manually locate the file/s where the specific songs are stored on your computer. It will then ask if you'd like to locate more songs. Click yes.
I had the same problem and it worked for me.

They all play in iTunes music and there is no exclamation point next to them. It's just that the music under My Device is all messed up. Only 200+ of my 1200+ songs are displayed and some of them are dimmed out and won't play from My Device. I've tried adding songs to My Device from my iTunes Library but that doesn't seem to be working either.

This new update has completely f***ed up my music library.

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
I hear you. I'd be going mad too. The only thing I can think of is to remove and reinstall iTunes...

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I called Apple and apparently the issue was that my iCloud Music Library was turned on and needed to be turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.