iTunes Wrecked . . . Need Help !!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Jul 4, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

My iTunes was working just fine on my iMac until I downloaded and installed a trial version of the program, HEAR.

At first, when I tested the iTunes/Hear combination, the vocals were beautifully enhanced; and the options were almost endless.

However, when I switched to New Age music, some of which is produced by synthesizers, the results were terrible. Some of the New Age instrumentals had serious distortion in some passages. Without exaggeration, the New Age music was ruined with the iTunes/Hear combination.

I tried to remove the HEAR program, and succeeded in finding two files that I dragged to the trash. This was not enough. I still have the problem.

I have attempted to define and isolate the problem by listening over high-quality headphones to my iPod and to my iMac. Same headphones, same tune, same volume level. The distortion still exists when played by iTunes on my iMac but the tune is clear as always on the iPod. The only variable left, I think, is iTunes . . . . somehow iTunes must still be loaded with part of the HEAR program.

Is it feasible to bring iTunes forward using TimeMachine without affecting my music database? Can someone (PLEASE) help me with this? I am afraid to attempt the backwards restoration with TimeMachine, because this is the first time I have needed to do this.

Thanks,
    L

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Uninstall HEAR, then download and reinstall iTunes.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you check the EQ in iTunes, if Hear adjusted it, it may still be set ...

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Since I had already dragged the only two (2) components of HEAR that I could find to the trash and emptied the trash, I downloaded a fresh copy of HEAR and installed it . . . again.

Then, I used the "Uninstall" feature found in the HEAR menu to uninstall the program. Then I removed iTunes, downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes, and installed it. Restarted my computer and tried the New Age instrumentals that were giving me the problems.

Worked perfectly. My sound system is again clean. Thank you very much for your prompt response.

It appears that HEAR alters some of the iTunes software in ways that are not obvious to the user, and simply dragging the HEAR application to the trash does not completely restore iTunes to its original state. This is a shame, because the program provides a beautiful 3D enhancement to conventional vocals. It just wrecks New Age instrumentals.

Thanks again.
    L