iTunes - You have accessed iTunes from a new computer - re-enter card details

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reech, Aug 13, 2011.

1. reech macrumors newbie

Hello all,

This has been hanging around for the last few months, and I can't locate any fixes for it :/

Whenever I've resstarted my Windows PC, and then connect to iTunes with my iPhone and update apps, or go and buy something, iTunes pops up a screen asking for my iTunes password - it then takes me to my account details page, and tells me that I'm accessing iTunes Store from a new computer, and I need to verify my details - this just results in me having to enter the security code from the back of my debit card.

It's not crippling, it's just annoying - I've read through the apple forums, and there aren't any fixes I've encountered there that work.

Has anyone encountered this, and been able to fix it permanently?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Deauthorise all computers/devices associated with your account then reauthorise one by one.

3. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This.

I would also do a clean install of iTunes, just to help.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If you do this make sure you backup iTunes library first though.

5. reech thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the above suggestions out - first, I did Deauthorise All, then signout out of iTunes (and on the iPod), but no, it still asks me to enter the card details each and every time. (I spaced out a few restarts, redownloads and updates.)

Reinstalling iTunes doesn't seem to help - although when you say CLEAN reinstall; I uninstalled iTunes, restarted PC, then installed iTunes - was there another way to do it?

It's almost like it thinks my computer is 'a new computer' every time I try and complete a purchase action.

It's not a total stopper, it's just bloody irritating.

If anyone gets the same problem and manages to fix it, let me know - I'll happily follow along some new suggestions!

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Crazy thought here, but did you email Apple iTunes support? They have been helpful for me in the past.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There is a specific process one must follow to remove iTunes. Since you didn't specify whether you have XP, Vista or 7, follow either this or this. There also is a possibility that you have an authorization issue, see whether these steps are applicable to your issue.

8. reech thread starter macrumors newbie

Over the last few days, followed the 'total uninstall' instructions for Windows 7, and the authorisation tip.

If anything, it's even worse now; even when signed in to the iTunes Store (i.e. I can see my email address on the top right when on the store) it asks me to sign in, with my password (the email is pre-filled.)

Then it tells me verification is required - so I have to enter my password again - and THEN I have to enter my security code from my card because I'm 'using from a new computer...'

*sigh*

I'll try emailing apple support letting 'em know what I've done in this thread - I've not contacted them through that before, only ever asked for support on the forums.

9. reech thread starter macrumors newbie

No response from Apple Support - so I went nuclear, and backed up data, then reinstalled Windows 7.

Everything's fine now - so it's obviously something that can happen to a Windows install (either to do with iTunes, or a Windows Update) that stops iTunes recognising my PC each time it connected to the store.

Let's see how long it remains sober ;)