iTunes9 beachballs a LOT

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mainstreetmark, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'm having numerous issues with iTunes9

It seems every time i click or switch back to it, it beachballs for like 10 to 15 seconds, and sometimes requires a force quit. if I activate the dock menu during this time, the audio garbles. It's entirely unusable.

- I've deleted plists
    - I've deleted temp files
    - I did File->Library->Consolidate->Update to iTunes Media (thus making downgrade impossible)
    - I've reinstalled

I can't find too much info out on the nets right now, so anyone around here having issues, and more importantly, solutions?

2. ttrtilley macrumors newbie

Wish my beachballs were 10 seconds. Mine are 50 seconds. Way too frequently. Google finds lots of hits but haven't found any solutions.

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

Am I the only person on the planet for whom iTunes 9 works perfectly? :rolleyes:

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What OS are you using?
    If you upgraded to OS X 10.6 did you do a clean install?
    How big are your library's?
    Are you using a library that is not local? IE is the library stored on an external or another machine all together>
    If the library is not local how are you accessing it? Wireless/wired?

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nah. It's just two or three people with issues that are probably not iTunes-specific get on here and complain every week. If you want to see beachballin', use a Power Mac G5 with the need to run about 5 apps at once, including old Firefox 2 and some OS 9 Classic stuff while in Panther. THAT'S A BEACHBALL ENVIRONMENT.

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard about a month ago. Very rarely do I get a beach ball, and my MBP is 2 years old.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My iBook's 4 years old and I'm finding iTunes 9 MUCH better than iTunes 8. I hated using it before, worst piece of software on my computer.

Although last night the audio did just conk out when I was playing a Genius Mix. Can't have it all I suppose.

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

Seems that way, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Heck a Power Mac used to be top-of-the-line! We've come a long way since then! :cool:

And I've seen that most of the people who are having problems with SL are the ones who didn't do a clean install. Ya just gotta do it!

8. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I am going to revive this...

I did a clean install of SL, then a TM restore. Ever since it seems that iTunes 9.01 has been acting up with random drawn out slow downs and poor performance. My iTunes is accessing the library on an external drive via the AEBS.

I just want to note that all was fine on Leopard. Now it seems I'll go a few days with good solid iTunes performance...then I'll get a few days where it continually beachballs at almost any input I give it, including maximizing the window from the dock, advancing to the next music track, etc...virtually anything I try to do. The beachballs last about 10 seconds. Anyone else?

I am going to try to reboot and I'l update.

Reboot seems to have helped a lot. Something doesn't smell quite right.