iTunes9 doesn't use "TV Shows" folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Devi1c0w, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Devi1c0w macrumors newbie

Hey there.

I just "upgraded" my iTunes to the new organization method that came with iTunes9 and now have several folders like Audiobooks, Podcasts, etc. and TV Shows.

If I download TV Shows through iTunes, iTunes places them there. If I add TV Shows manually (say, all the Simpsons episodes I ripped off of my DVDs), they are added to the Movies folder. Probably because it doesn't know that the movies I added belong to a TV Show.
    However, when I change the media type of the added episodes from "Movie" to "TV Show", the files are not being moved to the "TV Shows" folder. Why is that? What can I do to correct this?

Well, you could say, that there's no reason to bother. However, I need to split my iTunes library since I'm running out of space. Therefor I created a folder "TV Shows" on an external drive and linked it to my iTunes folder via a folder alias. But this "trick" only works and only is of reason, if iTunes uses this folder for ALL files of the type "TV Show"...

2. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Did you check the TV Shows folder? I had a similar issue on my netbook, and it turned out that iTunes was copying the files to the TV Show folder, instead of moving them. I double-checked the file location on the episodes in iTunes, and they all were located in Music\iTunes\TV Shows, so I just deleted the files from the movies folder.

3. Devi1c0w thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I did check that folder. It is completely empty.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Have you tagged your episode as a TV Programme? as standard all videos go into Movies unless tagged otherwise.

5. Devi1c0w thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. That's what I meant by the term "changing the media type".

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ this has always been the case. They come in as a movie and you have to change them.

7. Devi1c0w thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that. But I would expect iTunes to move the files from the Movies folder to the TV Shows folder after changing the media type in iTunes.

8. devburke Guest

That’s annoying :rolleyes: