itunesonlineshop.com - scam or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Poff, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I received a spam-mail today, on my new @me.com alias. It said the following:

this sounds shady to me, but have anyone tried it and found the opposite to be true?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

exactly what I plan on doing. For $10 I might have given it a try, but for $65? that's a no-go.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is a scam as long as there are zero ways to contact the people behind the site via phone or snail mail address. aka, a who we are, where we are page.

6. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

yup. any way to delete this thread? I wouldn't like to be responsible for anyone hearing about the "service" because of me "spreading the word".. :(

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Threads like this should never be deleted. Might save some idjit from using them if they do a Google search on the site name.

8. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I just started a thread regarding the same thing. A screenshot of what I got can be looked at here.

9. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

That's the same mail I got.

Just a question, the adress you got it on - what pages have you registered to using it? The reason I ask is that mine was a new adress, and I had only registered to a handful of pages using it.

idevapps.com
    macgamestore.com
    safaribooksonline.com
    amazon.co.uk

And a couple of norwegian ones, but I doubt you were using those sites..
    dinside.no
    davoy.no

Excluding the "big and professional" sites, I wondering if it could be either idevapps.com or macgamestore.com the spammer got the adress from. I don't believe any of them sold the adress, but maybe one of them have a sequrity flaw? (or of course, the spammer could have just been using random adresses aswell. Googling my adress, I also found a few instances of people writing my mail adress, while not related to me. Might be from there aswell.)

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Anything that's advertised via spam e-mail is a scam. If it was an ad for a site selling cheap V**gra, would you be asking if it was a scam? Why even open spam e-mail anyway?

11. weezercleaver macrumors member

weezercleaver

Yes, total scam. Just like when you get e-mails from "banks" in England wanting to give you money- official e-mails yet they abbreviate UK as Uk. Usually these things reek of phoniness. I also get ones all the time for free iPhones!

12. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I've got this email registered as my secondary email for FaceBook, a couple of Club Penguin accounts and hi5. I use my other email address for a lot more things such as Facebook (my primary email address on there), MacRumors, iTunes Store, Flickr, Eventful and general daily emailing.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't want to delete this thread, since anyone doing a Google search will find it.

Just use your brain, and you will be fine.

Try scamming Apple and getting credit for cheap, and you should find out if it is legit or not the hard way.

14. lke macrumors 6502a

Beware this is SCAM

Beware this is a SCAM.

I have sent payment over 6 days ago and I have not received anything.

Keep this post alive forever to keep alerting other people.

Also 2 other people is confirmed to sent payment without receiving anything.

15. lke macrumors 6502a

plimus is helping the scammers

http://plimus.com is helping the scammers keep charging and taking the money from people I don't understand why a USA company does this and don't stop the seller account to avoid more users send their payments to them.

16. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Come on people........

You don't just run the risk of being ripped off, but if you do get the card #s and Apple decides the purchase is fraudulent, they will toss you in the dragnet and shut down all of your iTunes account, e.g. you cannot have access to any of your iTunes media, not just the stuff bought with the fake cards.

There are at least three threads in here on this issue. If it is too good to believe, DON'T.:p