ITV unveils iPhone streaming service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmaw030180, Jun 3, 2010.

1. pmaw030180 macrumors newbie

Sounds pretty good. Mind you, not the biggest fan of the presenters and commentators they have....

ITV has unveiled a new simulcast streaming service of its main channels on the iPhone, which will carry all of the broadcaster's World Cup games.

ITV's new iPhone app, which will go live for the start of the football tournament on June 11, allows users to watch the broadcaster's linear TV content while on the go.

Under a partnership deal, new media operator Red Bee Media will stream a live simulcast of ITV1 and ITV2 via 3G and WiFi to the iPhone.

ITV's free-to-download app is fully funded by pre-roll advertising and click-through banner ads, which are being handled by Mediacom and M4C.

Along with live streaming, the app will also include schedule information for ITV1 and ITV2 provided by Red Bee Media's broadcast data operation.

The company, which was recently hired by Five to manage its video on-demand services, will also handle simulcast streaming of all ITV's matches from the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

"The ITV web app is a compelling offering that, using our sophisticated metadata platform, Teleview, provides ITV viewers with a much richer, branded service than other video streaming options," said Red Bee Media's chief commercial officer Alan Wright.

"The delivery of the ITV web app, in time for the World Cup, has brought together our creative, data and media management services and perfectly demonstrates Red Bee Media expertise in executing a multiplatform strategy."

ITV director of online and interactive Ben McOwen Wilson added: "Our aim at ITV is to make our content available when and where our viewers want to watch it.

"The ITV web app will enable iPhone users to find and watch their favourite ITV content, on the go and with this year's World Cup fast approaching, iPhone football fans now have a new way to watch the latest action.

"As the only UK broadcaster to screen the World Cup on mobile, this application offers advertisers a dynamic way to interact with viewers and puts ITV at the forefront of mobile VOD."

ITV's first World Cup game will be South Africa versus Mexico, with coverage from Johannesburg starting at 3pm BST on June 11.

On June 12, the broadcaster will also air England's first group match against the USA from 7.30pm BST on ITV1. Both games will be streamed live on the iPhone app.

Last week, ITV confirmed plans to boost interactivity and social media options around its World Cup coverage on the new ITV Live platform.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

cool, ill be sat infront of a 50" tv for the england games, but will be good to watch the other matches when im out. Must remember to get this on june 11th

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nice. Now if ITV had any content I wanted to watch that might be a winner.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Basically the Football. I can't think of anything else I would watch on ITV. Britain's got talent? Go do one Cowell!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's the problem. I pretty much hate football so there's absolutely nothing on there for me at all.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Great! Now I can guarantee not to miss Harry Hills TV Burp! Sod the football.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Develop this app for American football and I'm all over it :D

8. yelnref macrumors member

Will people in the US be able to use this? As it's free and works via wifi... or will it need a UK location? If yes, then very cool...

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It'll require a UK IP address unless ITV have paid for world-wide streaming rights (which I very much doubt).

10. yelnref macrumors member

^ bummer. thx robbie.

can't wait for the future to really arrive and everything to be global...

i'd even pay a monthly fee to be able to stream match of the day and stuff...

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You can get one of these with a subscription from strongVPN.com or any similar VPN provider.