Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Hey,

iTweak may be coming out very soon according to iTweakStore and other sources. It is supposed to be an alternative to Cydia, and make it a lot easier to use.

Here is a video talking about it: youtube.com/watch?v=amdYko45kaY

Do you think it will be better or worse than Cydia?

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
It looks nice but it has quite a road ahead of it to beat out Cydia IMO. I remember when Icy was around and it failed. I also remember Rock Apps having a lot of promise.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Hey,

iTweak may be coming out very soon according to iTweakStore and other sources. It is supposed to be an alternative to Cydia, and make it a lot easier to use.

Here is a video talking about it: youtube.com/watch?v=amdYko45kaY

Do you think it will be better or worse than Cydia?

Now, do a bit of research and look at the history of Cydia competitors. It isn't a pretty picture. Some of these 'alternatives' didn't even make it out of the conceptual stage.... Which is where these guys are. I wouldn't mind seeing some competition though. Maybe these guys will be better, maybe not. I will reserve judgement for when and if they go live.

The one thing I hate the most about Cydia is having to do a damn respring after every new tweak I load. For christ's sake, let me load up as many as I want and then I WILL respring when I want to! Kind of like WebOS and preware.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
The one thing I hate the most about Cydia is having to do a damn respring after every new tweak I load. For christ's sake, let me load up as many as I want and then I WILL respring when I want to!
You don't have to install one at a time. There is a "Continue Queuing" button which allows you to...build a queue of items to install. You're still forced to respring after they all install, though (if atleast one of them needs it).

aleric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Now, do a bit of research and look at the history of Cydia competitors. It isn't a pretty picture. Some of these 'alternatives' didn't even make it out of the conceptual stage.... Which is where these guys are. I wouldn't mind seeing some competition though. Maybe these guys will be better, maybe not. I will reserve judgement for when and if they go live.

The one thing I hate the most about Cydia is having to do a damn respring after every new tweak I load. For christ's sake, let me load up as many as I want and then I WILL respring when I want to! Kind of like WebOS and preware.

Good point. But i think its good cause without competition Cydia doesn't have any need to improve (to win the competition), so it doesn't.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
man, i remember when there was Installer, then Icy, Cydia... so many :p
Rock was pretty cool, but nothing can be Cydia, and i dont think anything will in the future

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Also note that multiple installs (as in Update All) have more of a tendency to cause an issue than a single install and respring.
So much so that I rarely take a chance on installing multiple tweaks on same respring.

But, to each their own.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Also note that multiple installs (as in Update All) have more of a tendency to cause an issue than a single install and respring.
So much so that I rarely take a chance on installing multiple tweaks on same respring.

But, to each their own.

I've also become a little gunshy when it comes to installing multiple packages. If I do a queue'd install, I always take a screen shot of the packages I'm installing in case I need to go backwards after the update. Lately they've been pretty stable however.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I've also become a little gunshy when it comes to installing multiple packages. If I do a queue'd install, I always take a screen shot of the packages I'm installing in case I need to go backwards after the update. Lately they've been pretty stable however.

Yep, I had previously had a couple of instances of multiple installs/upgrades where the packages installed just fine one at a time, but when installed on the same respring, a mess.

So, for whatever causes this (and it only happens occasionally) I have decided not to willingly chance it.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

There is a reason why they were fast, they cut corners, which when installing system files is always a REALLY BAD BAD BAD THING, Crashes on Rock app where usually pretty bad, they did not follow the APT get structure, making thing fast for the user yes, but skipping important checks and process that make the APT-GET system secure, and safe for your system.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
There is a reason why they were fast, they cut corners, which when installing system files is always a REALLY BAD BAD BAD THING, Crashes on Rock app where usually pretty bad, they did not follow the APT get structure, making thing fast for the user yes, but skipping important checks and process that make the APT-GET system secure, and safe for your system.

I understand that, but installing on Cydia isn't always the safest either.

Not so much anymore but I remember many times having to go into Ifile or ssh and correct something that was messed up with Cydia.

I remember 3-4 times I would be doing normal installs and all of a sudden Cydia would launch and bomb out instantly.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

But, to each their own.

I agree.
I installed/updated some packages on a friends iphone the other day.
There was like 10+ that need updating. I did them all at once and got stuck at the Apple logo and had to restore:(
One or 2 at a time for me from now on.
And for the record there's nothing better than Cydia out there.
And Im not going to be a guinea pig on some beta software with my iphone 4S.
If anything happens and messes up my 4S after 5.1 comes out I might be stuck restoring to 5.1 and left without a JB for a long time.
Im sticking to proven software that works. Even though competition is good Im not taking chances with crapware.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I understand that, but installing on Cydia isn't always the safest either.

Not so much anymore but I remember many times having to go into Ifile or ssh and correct something that was messed up with Cydia.

I remember 3-4 times I would be doing normal installs and all of a sudden Cydia would launch and bomb out instantly.

Well...you take your pick,,,Fast or safe,,,if Cydia get into those issues following the correct structure and process, what do you think it happen with those app than don't? Sometime those issues are no "Cydia" related but the packaging and installers than developer specify for apt-get, cydia is just a fornt end, if the developer doesn't do a good job packing it, cydia will just follow what the developer set and sometime screw things up, just putting out there.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the stability of your jailbroken phone is directly proportional to the time you expend researching and testing what you install, if you want "fast" you need to be willing to pay the price.

aleric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Well...you take your pick,,,Fast or safe,,,if Cydia get into those issues following the correct structure and process, what do you think it happen with those app than don't? Sometime those issues are no "Cydia" related but the packaging and installers than developer specify for apt-get, cydia is just a fornt end, if the developer doesn't do a good job packing it, cydia will just follow what the developer set and sometime screw things up, just putting out there.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the stability of your jailbroken phone is directly proportional to the time you expend researching and testing what you install, if you want "fast" you need to be willing to pay the price.

yeah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.