Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
First year (UK) that I've been on IUP. I have a 64Gb X. Paid £69 upfront, and £56.45 a month, just paid the 11 payments so can now upgrade if want.

Working this out it's actually nearly £700 I've paid already (I know it includes AC+)

So I'm not bothered on Xs, not sure on Xs Max, but maybe am on Xr.

So what's others done. Trade in and start again, not sure how it works but can I not pay off the phone bit and not the AC+ and then keep iPhone?

Just seems a bit of a waste as paid a lot to upgrade now and start again?

Maybe I could pay off and sell the X as must still be worth a bit?

Wondering what others have done in regard to this. Just seems maybe a bit waste to hand in the X and start over again? I know this is what the IUP is about but as its first year doing wonder what others thought.

Thanks

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
First year (UK) that I've been on IUP. I have a 64Gb X. Paid £69 upfront, and £56.45 a month, just paid the 11 payments so can now upgrade if want.

Working this out it's actually nearly £700 I've paid already (I know it includes AC+)

So I'm not bothered on Xs, not sure on Xs Max, but maybe am on Xr.

So what's others done. Trade in and start again, not sure how it works but can I not pay off the phone bit and not the AC+ and then keep iPhone?

Just seems a bit of a waste as paid a lot to upgrade now and start again?

Maybe I could pay off and sell the X as must still be worth a bit?

Wondering what others have done in regard to this. Just seems maybe a bit waste to hand in the X and start over again? I know this is what the IUP is about but as its first year doing wonder what others thought.

Thanks

I wouldn’t go from X to XR.

Losing the better screen and 2nd camera would put me off.

Pay the next 9 payments, then get next years phone on a new IUP and sell your X for a decent amount.

If you’re set on ending the IUP you could pay the 9 months of the X but that’s £500 so you’re not going to make a huge profit that way.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I wouldn’t go from X to XR.

Losing the better screen and 2nd camera would put me off.

Pay the next 9 payments, then get next years phone on a new IUP and sell your X for a decent amount.

If you’re set on ending the IUP you could pay the 9 months of the X but that’s £500 so you’re not going to make a huge profit that way.
Yeh to pay another £500 off now and then sell current X I probably would lose out. Do you have to pay up the AC+ as well if I did this? Or could you say don't want the AC+ and just pay what you've used so far?

Regarding the Xr I understand what your saying. But the camera although single lens still looks good and does portrait, has a bigger (non OLED I know) LCD, isn't as physically big as an Xs Max, and good colours. The 2nd camera is just for the zoom though really? I have used it for that but not loads to say I'd miss this zoom functionality too much.

Thanks

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yeh to pay another £500 off now and then sell current X I probably would lose out. Do you have to pay up the AC+ as well if I did this? Or could you say don't want the AC+ and just pay what you've used so far?

Regarding the Xr I understand what your saying. But the camera although single lens still looks good and does portrait, has a bigger (non OLED I know) LCD, isn't as physically big as an Xs Max, and good colours. The 2nd camera is just for the zoom though really? I have used it for that but not loads to say is miss this zoom functionality.

Thanks

The second camera is also for calculating the depth meter for portrait mode.

Reactions: roncron

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The second camera is also for calculating the depth meter for portrait mode.
Ah ok, so the Xr is just a "guess" with software then? It is a good feature I admit but just fancy a bigger screen, but maybe not a massive Max one, so still interested in the Xr personally

Reactions: akash.nu

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Any other IUP reveal what they did please? Think it's been on longer in US so what have you done past years? Just continued with the IUP all the time?

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Any other IUP reveal what they did please? Think it's been on longer in US so what have you done past years? Just continued with the IUP all the time?

Thanks

What happens if I process the IUP to an Xr but then decide within the 14 days don't like and want to for a Max, or back to my X? Is this possible?

I suspect no to getting my X back/another X, but what about your Xr and 14days what happens in this case?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
What happens if I process the IUP to an Xr but then decide within the 14 days don't like and want to for a Max, or back to my X? Is this possible?

I suspect no to getting my X back/another X, but what about your Xr and 14days what happens in this case?

I have always wondered this myself. You do IUP. Send in last years phone. Citizens One cancels the loan. You return current year phone in the 14 day window.

Are you just completely off the hook all around?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have always wondered this myself. You do IUP. Send in last years phone. Citizens One cancels the loan. You return current year phone in the 14 day window.

I presume Citizens is US, in UK it's Barclays finance who you pay?

You have 14 days before required to return your “old” phone. I would wait, if you do IUP, to make sure you like the new phone before sending the old one in.
Ah that's good then, so the original IUP on my X won't be cancelled straight away?

Would you start a new IUP with the new one, and have to pay the £69 and then start it though, even before you decide?

Gets complicated, first time on IUP always bought some free previously.

Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I presume Citizens is US, in UK it's Barclays finance who you pay?

Ah that's good then, so the original IUP on my X won't be cancelled straight away?

Would you start a new IUP with the new one, and have to pay the £69 and then start it though, even before you decide?

Gets complicated, first time on IUP always bought some free previously.

Thanks

In the uk you have to physically go into an Apple store to get your IUP on the new device anyway. So you will have to hand in your old phone when you try to get the new one.

I’m not sure if you can actually retain your old phone and get a new IUP device. I think it’s not possible.

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Yeh to pay another £500 off now and then sell current X I probably would lose out. Do you have to pay up the AC+ as well if I did this? Or could you say don't want the AC+ and just pay what you've used

Thanks
If you settle up early they refund you the remaining months worth of AppleCare assuming you no longer want the cover.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

In a way, if you trade in your phone, Apple closes out the loan and when you return the current one within the 14 days, Apple will cancel the loan and refund you the sales tax and the first month back to your credit card. Thus you are no longer on IUP unless you enroll again by getting a new one.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
In the uk you have to physically go into an Apple store to get your IUP on the new device anyway. So you will have to hand in your old phone when you try to get the new one.

I’m not sure if you can actually retain your old phone and get a new IUP device. I think it’s not possible.
Ah another twist then....so complicated...wonder if it's only US where you an keep your phone until you decide, ie within the 14 days
If you settle up early they refund you the remaining months worth of AppleCare assuming you no longer want the cover.
What's the rate? Think it's £200 in total so is it 200/20months, so £10/month potential refund?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
I owed 545 at the time of XS release on the iup. I didn’t want to stay on iup and felt that I’d get more value by selling the phone and moving to iPhone payments, which is £10 less a month.

I Was initially going to sell the X to music magpie for 555 and then go to iPhone payments with my XS max reservation, however I ended up selling the X privately for £625. Add it all up, including the refund from the AppleCare and I made about £180, and I’m now paying £10 less a month with the XS max. Win win.

Another bonus with iPhone payments is in 12 months (upon the iPhone 11 release) I would only owe Barclays £412. You can be sure that the XS max will be worth a lot more than £412 so I reckon I would make a bit of profit next year also either selling it privately or through a recycle company.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I got iup last year with every intention of getting a new phone. However, I don’t see a big enough change in Xs and Xs max doesn’t interest me, so I decided to keep my X for another year, pay off the iup and then sell the X for around $400 or whatever it will be worth next year.

My wife on the other hand really wanted the big screen, so we upgraded her iup X to Xs Max. She loves it

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
You have 14 days before required to return your “old” phone. I would wait, if you do IUP, to make sure you like the new phone before sending the old one in.
Easily done with online order but when doing an in-store transaction they want to take your old phone on the spot which could be good for Apple because potential no fall back. Not sure if you can refuse trade in and say will bring back within 14 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtrue28

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Easily done with online order but when doing an in-store transaction they want to take your old phone on the spot which could be good for Apple because potential no fall back. Not sure if you can refuse trade in and say will bring back within 14 days.
Need this clarifying then.

Looking on Apple store app I can't select the Xr yet, and think in UK, has to be in store as well.

But as above what happens if I go and then want to give back within 14days I then wouldn't have an option of getting my X back.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Looking on Apple store app I can't select the Xr yet, and think in UK, has to be in store as well.

But as above what happens if I go and then want to give back within 14days I then wouldn't have an option of getting my X back.
If you trade in your X and Apple closes out that loan and you get the Xr and then return that within 14 days, then you won't get the X back. Why not go to the Apple store and ask the people there this week and see if you can hold onto the X and trade it in later?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

I’m almost certain you can’t hold on to your device in the UK if you are going with IUP.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

In the US you have to make 12 payments before you can upgrade. When I upgraded to XS Max Apple charged me the 12th payment as an early payoff fee when I order the new phone. You might want to double check that the IUP in the UK doesn't do the same thing.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Other commenters here have made excellent points.

For what it's worth:

The IUP takes the cost of the phone + AppleCare and divides it into 24 equal monthly payments, with the first one due on the date of purchase.

If being economical is your goal, use your phone for at least 23 months, after which time it will be paid off and yours to keep. A phone that cost $1000 at time of purchase will probably have a resale value of $300 or $400 after two years, which is money you can apply to your next phone purchase if you like.

If you upgrade after one year on the IUP, it *feels like* it doesn't cost anything because the monthly payment on your new phone will likely be the same or very similar to what it was on the phone you bought last year and have just traded in (unless you upgraded to a phone with a significantly higher sticker price).

But of course, it does cost something. The cost of upgrading after just 1 year is the resale value that you would have had if you'd kept the phone for the full two years and then sold it. If this resale value is $400, it averages to $200 per year, so you lost $200 by upgrading after just one year.

Of course, if the new phone has features that are really valuable to you, then it might be worth it. But at least you can make a more informed decision taking account of the true costs of annual upgrades on the IUP.

--

One other thing about the IUP that I just learned.

If you want out of the program after one year, you have two options:

1) You can pay off the 12 remaining payments (which you probably already knew)

2) You can exercise your trade-in for a new iPhone, give back the old iPhone, then return the new iPhone within the 14-day return window. When you turn in your old iPhone, Apple closes the loan on it. When you return the new iPhone, the loan on that one is closed, too. Congratulations, you're fully out of the program. (This is in the IUP "terms and conditions.")

Which of these options is better? If the resale value of your phone (on eBay, for example) is higher than the sum of the remaining payments, then option 1 is better - as long as you don't mind the hassle of selling your phone on eBay. If the resale value of your phone is less than the sum of the remaining payments, then option 2 is better.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
1) You can pay off the 12 remaining payments (which you probably already knew)
Thanks.

The IUP is 20 payments after the intial £69, and you can't upgrade until after 11 payments, so that leaves only 9 to pay.

Unsure still, looks like my X is worth about £500, payments left equal about £500 so pointless this way maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.