IUP or VZW payments for iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joe8232, Nov 4, 2017.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

I currently have an iPhone 7+ that I bought outright last year. I didn't feel the need to preorder the X and wanted to try it out before commiting.

I went into the Verizon store today and got a chance to try the X and I really like it! Apparently I'm one of those people who does like to upgrade every year so my question is about the IUP or device payments through Verizon. Besides the inclusion of Apple Care is there anytyhing else I should know about that differs between the two? Both seem to allow you to upgrade every year and from what I've read, all LTE phones on Verizon are unlocked (I spend a lot of time in the UK so I have a UK sim that I would use while over there).

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

2. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

I chose the IUP so I could upgrade to the latest iPhone with every release and do business with Apple rather than committing to a carrier program (although I've been with ATT for 10 years). AppleCare and interest-free financing sealed the deal for me -- particularly now that I've seen the repair costs for the X! Despite my frustrations with the IUP preorder process this year, I'm hopeful Apple will make improvements going forward.

3. joe8232 thread starter macrumors regular

The ability to change cariers is something I hadn't though of. As the T-Mobile coverage gets better and better I may consider moving to them in the future. Thanks for your help, the IUP I think makes the most sense.

4. exgymnast macrumors member

exgymnast

IUP does a credit check every year. Carrier does not. IUP an additional bill to pay. Carrier just lumped in with phone bill. Carrier sometimes gives extras like no upgrade fee.

5. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

The IUP monthly charge goes on your credit card -- so it's not technically an additional bill to pay.

6. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

I was exactly in the same situation as the OP. If you care about your credit go with the Verizon payment plan. You can still upgrade to the new iPhone every year as long as you have paid 50% of the phone. Also, if you have been with Verizon for a while and pay on time have them give you a courtesy bill credit for the “phone upgrade fee”. 30 bucks towards your next bill. It’s a win win for the Verizon payment plan.

I hope my comment helps. Cheers.

7. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Not to mention Verizon has gone up early for pre order the last two years and Being stuck in IUP and being forced to upgrade through the Apple store app has caused majority of people problems. Verizon’s site has had no issues.

8. joe8232 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for these prospectives, I really appreciate them.