IUP process - restore or set up as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benz240, Sep 15, 2016.

1. benz240 macrumors regular

For everyone who is in the iPhone Upgrade Program and is trading in their 6s tomorrow - what is your plan of attack? Are you going to backup to iTunes or iCloud right before walking into the store, then when it's time to hand in your old phone reset all content & settings? Then after they unbox and activate the 7/7+, are you going to select "set up as new iPhone", or try and restore from backup right there? Or get back to your computer and restore from iTunes? It's my understanding that upgraders are not allowed to walk out of the store with the phone still sealed in the box, it has to be activated by an Apple employee - is this true?

2. kjotwani macrumors regular

I am taking my laptop in-store.. backup old iPhone, get new iPhone, restore to new iPhone, verify old iPhone and new iPhone have all data, erase old iPhone..

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I already backed up my 6S+ today encrypted. If everything goes ok tomorrow and I get the new phone then I'll erase my 6S+ in store and restore my 7+ when I get home.

4. benz240 thread starter macrumors regular

That's definitely the best strategy but I don't think they will allow that...most full iTunes restores take close to an hour, or more if you have a larger storage capacity. I doubt they are gonna let you hang on to the old phone and the new one AND take up space in the already crowded store on launch day.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Backing up tonight via iCloud and iTunes. Going to store in morning and resetting all settings and content. Leaving store with iPhone 7 plus still in box unopened. Going home and then restore backup.

6. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

They can activate it while it's still sealed in the box. They did for me when I joined the program last year anyway.

7. benz240 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They deactivate your current one and activate the new one. But you don't need to take it out of the box. I leave the store with my box sealed.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Did the same.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Oh so YOU are the kind of person that takes up space in Apple stores when others need them for more important issues! You should be doing the backup at home and the restore at home too.

11. Wags macrumors 6502

Walking into store with fully erased back to start up and no sim. Leaving with iPhone in box.

12. btbam91 macrumors regular

I've noticed there is a stigma on these forums with people loading a backup onto a new phone. Has anyone actually had any problems loading a backup to a brand new phone?

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have once out of 8 years. Had an issue with messages opening. Requires a restore as new. Tomorrow I am using the decipher tool to only transfer over health data. Everything else will be started as new.

14. kjotwani macrumors regular

Lol yup I will take up place. I have a 30 min window and wanna use it :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Well do take a backup earlier. So it's just a small delta backup there. And can sit at a side and do restore. Gonna try it. Let's see