IUP questions

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Can anyone explain how the IUP worked this year for them please? Was it still a mad rush like this morning buying outright? More in the UK as this is first year think.

Do you have to go through a few more clicks to chose what you want for the IUP, and then it has to be a store pickup? you can't get delivery? what if a store near you hasn't got stock, but buying outright would have availability just tough?

If you were giving back your original iPhone, what if its worth more? can you just pay up etc etc? How does the finance of this bit work? do you actually pay off the IUP plan, which I presume your handed in iPhone would cover, but want if you could sell for more, do you just need the value of the finance left?

What condition does the handed in iPhone have to be in? Do you need the box, and all accessories as well or just the actual phone?

Is there a max number allowed IUP/iPPP you have have? just I have 2 already for kids, and now potentially another one for me?

I managed to get a IUP pickup in a store and a delivery thats all so not sure what to do. I can afford to pay off in full as saved up (in UK all are Sim free unlocked). tbh I'm a little worried this year that the next X version will be a lot better (I know of course it will, but mean bug wise etc), and so resale maybe not as good, thats why I'm interested in the IUP

thanks

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone help please? I'm in UK so any UK'ers have IUP, but would also like to know what condition retuned iPhones have to be in when trading in. I know I've had repairs before and they looked over the iPhone with a fine tooth comb.

Just wondering if I go on IUP wether to go without a BestSkinEver or screen protector on, as they do feel much better without, but I've always used one because terrified of the scratching.

thanks

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
OK, I’m going to try and answer some of these questions for you. In regards to how the IUP worked this time, it worked great for me. Apple allowed those of us who were already enrolled in the program to get preapproval for the upgrade this year which worked much better than last year’s process. I got through on the app a few minutes after pre-orders went live and was able to place my order with a few clicks of a button. I already had the model picked out and everything due to the preapproval process. Some people couldn’t get into the app quick enough though for whatever reason, so ymmv there.

As to how the turn-in process works, you can turn in the phone when you go into the store to pick up the new one. You also have the option however to keep the original phone and pay it off. You can either pay it off in one lump sum to the loan holder, or continue to make the monthly payments on it. Apple doesn’t really care. They just essentially do not wipe out your original loan unless you turn the phone into them. As to the phone condition it needs to be in working order with no cracks or significant physical damage. Scratches and a little chips are OK. You only have to turn in the phone. You do not need to turn in the box or the charger or other accessories like headphones.

As to where you have to get the phone from, you have the option for in-store pick up OR for shipping to your home. Both are possible, at least here in the US. I ended up going with in-store pick up myself because I was able to secure it for first thing in the morning on release day for November 3.

Hopefully that helps man.

Reactions: MrMister111

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I’m wondering if you can buy the phone in full and then return-rebuy unopened phone so I can utilize iUP

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I’m wondering if you can buy the phone in full and then return-rebuy unopened phone so I can utilize iUP
So when I first joined the program, that was how I did it actually. I found a version of the phone that I wanted that was available to buy in the store and bought it full price. Then when I went into the store to pick it up, I told them I wanted to do it on the IUP instead and they were able to work it out for me. Was kinda a pain, but worked out ok.

Reactions: predation

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
IUP worked great for me, i heard you still can do the buy full price trade in thing, and i would recommend it to anyone.

The phone you trade in gets traded in no matter what you do its going to be valued the same. If you keep it my guess is you will pay out both loans - the new and old.

This was my fourth IUP pre-order and i got a iphone x 256gb for Nov 3 date. Some are saying Apple IUP was bad because the app store didn't work until 12:13am pst, but that is not true as evidence by me and others hwo got in at 12:06am pst and up, getting launch phones. Those people just didn't get lucky and get a routing spot onto the apple servers. When you get pre-approval its great, you simply slick on "submit order" - one page- and then back to sleep. Very low risk of 404 errors by clicking next on multiple pages because its literally one button. People are saying the IUP doesn't give you any benefit in ordering but that is also untrue as you get one click checkout, thus saving you all the stock that would sell in the time you had to fill out all the 5 pages of bs and get approved by citizens one.

Feel free to ask anything else! ")

Reactions: predation

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
IUP worked great for me, i heard you still can do the buy full price trade in thing, and i would recommend it to anyone.

The phone you trade in gets traded in no matter what you do its going to be valued the same. If you keep it my guess is you will pay out both loans - the new and old.

This was my fourth IUP pre-order and i got a iphone x 256gb for Nov 3 date. Some are saying Apple IUP was bad because the app store didn't work until 12:13am pst, but that is not true as evidence by me and others hwo got in at 12:06am pst and up, getting launch phones. Those people just didn't get lucky and get a routing spot onto the apple servers. When you get pre-approval its great, you simply slick on "submit order" - one page- and then back to sleep. Very low risk of 404 errors by clicking next on multiple pages because its literally one button. People are saying the IUP doesn't give you any benefit in ordering but that is also untrue as you get one click checkout, thus saving you all the stock that would sell in the time you had to fill out all the 5 pages of bs and get approved by citizens one.

Good to know. I plan on taking my unopened ups box to the Apple store, open in front of them and return rebuy on iUP. Had to buy outright since I’m on T-Mobile

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
This was my fourth IUP pre-order and i got a iphone x 256gb for Nov 3 date.

When you've traded in your old iPhone what had condition been like and how much notice do they make of it?

Obviously cracked screen then yes that is no good but general wear and tear, light scratches on body and screen etc. I'm wondering if I could get away with not using a screen protector this year and just a silicone case.

I really look after my iPhone's normally case, pouch, bestskinever, screen protector etc.

Thanks

Last edited: