I've been having problems with my Mac Pro...I thought Macs didn't crash!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BiikeMike, May 28, 2008.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I have been doing a lot of work lately, and my Mac Pro has been choking. I'm not really doing much intensive stuff, certainly nothing this machine can't handle.

I'll run Photoshop, Lightroom, Firefox, iTunes, and various other small applications (cyberduck, text edit, etc) and my computer has frozen up on me twice in the past week. The music will play the same note over and over again, and nothing will move. I have to hold down the power button to get it to turn off!

I don't know if this is related, but I also have these weird horizontal lines across my monitor that show up every so often.

This is the report from the crash I just had:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's not that Macs don't crash, but it's supposed to be extremely rare. And it sounds to me like your graphics card is overheating. Do you use iStat Pro or anything similar to see what temperatures your hardware is at?

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I know, every computer crashes. I still remember the sad Mac from my IIGS ;)

as for temps, right now:

CPU A 90*F
    CPU B 92*F
    Ambient 77*F
    Northbridge 167*F
    Expansion Slots 95*F
    HD Bay 1 86*F
    HD Bay 2 86*F
    HD Bay 3 90*F

HD Fan is at 499
    Exhaust is at 599
    Power supply at 600
    CPU at 599

4. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I'm not a mac pro expert, but your northbridge temp is very high

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm not so sure that it's necessarily heat-related. One or more of your sticks of RAM may be dodgy, or there may be a logic board issue underlying it (also, one of your cores doesn't like something). A check of other forums and Apple Support indicated potential for all of those, depending on all of the crash log output.

Log a call with Apple--a couple of the others with "similar" reports ended up with Apple just shipping them a new Mac.

If you can get them to identify the specific error message that they used to make a determination and the result, that'll help add to our collective knowledge. Keep us up to date.

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Aside from the heat problem on the northbridge, it could actually be cpu related. Ram and CPU should be easy enough to test. Run the techtool that came with your applecare or boot the mac pro into diagnostic mode (your install disc is required for that).

Another shot in the dark would be to remove one of your video cards (either or), as it could be a driver fault.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Actually, it is a cpu problem.

I just saw it in your log:

Processor context corrupt
    Error enabled
    Uncorrected error
    panic(cpu 3 caller 0x001A42CB): Machine Check (CPU:3, thread:0x8b6da98, trapno:0x12, err:0x0),registers:

Your 3rd core is buggered (chip 2 on your system).

I would still run those diagnostic tests.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

9. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Well, here is the update. Not a very big one.

I just got off the phone with Apple, and after an hour, he gave me a case number and said take it to the store. They have been having problems with the X1900, and said they will do what they can, or replace it. (the card)

We'll see if that helps, I'll report back after my Genius Bar appt. Don't hold your breath though, I'm pretty busy lately, which is why it took me so darn long to even put a call into them!

10. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Ya, I don't know man. I believe what I said was wrong because I think now that that is just the cpu that called the error, not a cpu failure. You will need to get apple to take a look for sure.

11. schnee macrumors member

Whenever I've had an issue like this, it's been bad hardware. Either a video card that died (once) or bad RAM (twice). Pretty good record for fifteen years of Mac ownership.

12. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

That is all that has gone wrong in 15 years? If so, that must be some kind of record!

I have an appointment tomorrow at noon at the Apple store. I'll also be taking my MacBook Pro in to see if they can fix the clasp.

13. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

My mac pro is an old warhorse, 20days 10hours runtime since last boot (update)

I run lots of things on this box, good solid unit. I would say if a mac crashes, its HW.

14. ai4evil macrumors newbie

Hey whatever happened here

I am having the same issue today. What was the result of your investigation BiikeMike?

15. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I took in my computer and they replaced the video card. Haven't have a problem since!

16. ai4evil macrumors newbie

17. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Umm. No?

Have had practically one (1) problem with my 5 macs in the last 10 years. One dead internal clock battery in a G4.
    A lot of hours under the belt. A lot...

In our production enviroment we have (and had) about 20-25 macs. Apart from 2 faulty MBPs (revA) and couple discolored displays (on purchase) things have been running smoothly.

Not bad?

Edit : Eeh, unless you count apples wireless gizmos : expresses,extremes and Timecapsules. Wich are *****..