I've been offered an iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hldomster, May 20, 2009.

1. hldomster macrumors member

From the Carphone Warehouse. As a gesture of goodwill because I have had a few problems.

However, they originally deterred me from an iPhone, but I persisted and was met with the following email:

So basically I can have an iPhone, but not with the usual data plan. I've looked at the unlimited data I have currently, and it's 200mb a month. Is this going to suffice? I don't think I'm going to be a heavy user, but obviously I want to be able to browse the net regularly, check emails regularly and use Twitter.

So how much data does the average user need? I really want an iPhone, but not if I'm going to fork out a load for data. I can have more or less any other handset, but don't know which one of those to go for (currently have a C905 but had loads of problems).

Please help me out, thanks.

2. The Governor macrumors regular

200mb? Eh, I don't know....

I don't consider myself a heavy user at all and I use 300+mbs a month. Mainly browsing the web, youtube, pandora, etc. while on my commute.

Before I had the iphone, I had a windows mobile smartphone and rarely used any data at all, but as soon as I got the iphone. I don't know...it's just a lot easier to rack up the data.

Basically, 200mbs might not be enough...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say, that 200mbs is not nearly enough.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

200mb is approximately 1,400 pages download. Putting that in context this is the maximum you can download on o2 unlimited data usage PER DAY!!!

So it probably wouldn't be enough!

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I must misunderstand the meaning of the word "unlimited", I though it could be easily translated "without limits", but apparently it means "200mb"... Well, now I know!

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

It is unlimited however 02 get a bit cross if you exceed 300 mb a day, then they slow your connection down, unlimited isn't exactly unlimited! :D

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

It is unlimited however 02 get a bit cross if you exceed 300 mb a day, then they slow your connection down, unlimited isn't exactly unlimited! :D

8. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

you can get a blackberry and easily meet 200mb a month due to the blackberry compression, even with pandora running in the background.

i think i hit 263mb last month in pretty heavy usage, but the breakdown was 200 mb of TCP data (mostly streaming video and audio) and only 63 mb of blackberry data (browsing, e-mails, pins, and anything else that uses the BIS gateway)

with the iphone, i hit 200mb in a week (youtube, streaming, google maps), so i'm guessing you're going to have to do some serious skimping. however, you can use wifi when necessary and probably make it.

9. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

you can get wifi practically anywhere now and its usually free. So if your one of those lucky people that live in a city with free wifi the download limit wont make much difference to you anyway!!:D

10. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

I'm on orange and have a 500mb limit each month. The most i have ever used was 298mb but usually it comes in at under 200mb. I would consider myself quite a heavy user... got mobile me push on, use news reader, facebook and the internet daily. I don't have wifi on because i sometimes get bad reception in my room so i'd rather it runs uninterrupted on 3g.

I think that if you were careful and used wifi you would be able to make it work. Could you not add a web bolt on with o2? Don't think they're that pricey.