I've been really disappointed with my Mac.. pls help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by becky280, Apr 13, 2009.

1. becky280 macrumors member

I just bought my 13 inch aluminum Macbook a few days ago but it’s been kind of disappointing. The internet loads really slow and will work perfectly one second then turn sluggish the next. I have to sit in an exact spot for it to pick up my linksys network, even though the other computers/devices in the house have no problem picking up this signal wherever I sit. Just now the macbook suddenly quit on me and told me to restart, then explained that Mac OX quit or something like that. Is this supposed to happen? I paid 1500 dollars for this thing so I was expecting problem-free surfing for at least the first while. Could it be because it was an open box model? Meaning somebody bought it and returned it (the store sends it back to Apple to check it out and reset it).

What can I do? Will I get a new one if I were to return it or another open box model?

2. mac88 macrumors 6502

Contact Apple and let them know what the problem is. Or just go to an Apple store, speak to someone and see if they can diagnose the problem for you. It's always worth the shot to ask. Good luck!

3. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

With my HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop I would get a very low and sometimes none at all signal from my linksys wrt router in the basement (two floors down). I used to think it was just a poor router and had become outdated. Now, with my MacBook Aluminum, I get FULL bars from my room as well as from anywhere else in the house. Return it.

4. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

But I've already transferred all of my files and deleted them on my old laptop.. I really have to go through that again?!

5. mac88 macrumors 6502

How many GB of files/media etc., are you using on your computer? If you can purchase an external HD and back your files up to that then you will be all set. If only to do this to back up your stuff. It's a pain but worth it.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Set up Time Machine on an external for this one, then transfer all your files from the backup once you've got the new Mac.

7. scan macrumors 6502

that doesn't take that long if you go through a wired connection.

8. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Would the Apple Store retransfer it for you to the new computer? Don't they do that for people who just bought a new mac from a Windows machine.?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I bet they would do it in this case. Speak with a manager and explain the situation.

10. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

True. Network transfers are very quick in Mac OS X.

11. mac88 macrumors 6502

Agreed. A no fee transfer would be great.

12. acurafan macrumors 6502a

a tale of two macs...

my gf has her alum which sporadically drops off my linksys WRT54GS router, while my white book does once in a blue moon. (trust me, it's not my linksys config) since i set mine to a static ip, it's fine.

but she takes it everywhere and refuses to make it static and her alum just randomly goes ape***** and gives itself a 169.x.x.x ip addr., bizarre! she says it happens once a while at work too - which uses Symbol APs.

reading all these posts, i am thinking this is def issue with the macs, not user config error. trust me i tried all settings on my APs, and macs are fully updated.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can restore from one of your backup disks if need be.

If the only problem is getting signal from a linksys router one thing to try is moving the router. Move it five or ten feet in each direction. Liely the routers just has a dead spot or there is a reflection off something

Also it could be in the router setup. Some times the power can be turned down. Check that.

The next thing to do is take you computer to some other place that has wireless and see if the problem happens there too. If not then blank the router.

14. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Macs are great, but much like the European cars that they are often compared to they have a few quirks. Some are delightful and some are not so great. But we still love them.:cool:

15. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. Ok. I will backup my disk. I didn't expect this to happen and I don't think this is normal behavior, so I'm hoping the store will be lenient... I wonder if I will be charged any fees? And what about iWork and iLife? Can I reuse those CDs to download all my stuff on the new laptop? Because I've already used them on this one.

16. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

The Restore DVD's that came with your computer will restore all of the factory installed software like OS X, iLife, but I'm not so sure about iWork.
    Usually Apple is pretty good with this stuff, but everybody's experiences are different.

17. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

Well.. I didn't buy it at the Apple store. I bought it at Future Shop. Will that make a difference?

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

you have 14 days for a full refund with FS, bring it back and tell them you want to exchange it.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not really. You can take it to an Apple store and request the exchange and transfer.

20. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

That's the Canadian Best Buy right? Someone else may be better qualified to answer that question.
    Edit: Oops I started writing this post and then had to go do something else for a bit.

21. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

Yay. Okay. I hope you guys are right! So I just hand it to them and explain my problem? They won't open it up and try to figure things out for themselves, or I won't have to prove to them my issues? lol. Yes.. I have many questions about this.

22. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you choose to go the Apple route... you might want to do this sooner than later... you might run out of time to return it if they don't honor your transfer.

good luck! sorry you're disappointed.

if it makes you feel better - i drove 50 miles to get my MacBook in christmas traffic each way - and when i got home... there were lines going across the display.

i was so sick to my stomach i couldn't eat!!

brought it in and exchanged it the next day.

23. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

If you make enough fuss (calmly of course ;) ) they should relent if they give you any problems. I'm not too familiar with Future Shop though. I hope everything works out OK for you! Good Luck!:)