I've been told that I have a monotone voice...a

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Aug 5, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

People also say that my voice sound like I'm mellow all the time what can I do to change my voice to a less monotone / mellow sound?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Speech therapy or self training. I'd also speak to your parents rather than asking here.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Hey, a monotone voice can make you very successful. Ask Ben Stein.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I've even been told I sound like Homer Simpson. :(

Does anybody in Canada know how much it would cost to go to Speech & Language Therapy? Is it offered as a public health service?

Also when I add reflection to my voice I sound really gay so maybe thats why I have a monotone voice?

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've had speech therapy on the NHS here for similar though not identical issues. To be honest it was fairly useless, I changed my voice by making a minor effort over months and years as I have done pretty much as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I had an obscenely high shrieking voice and had a tendency to speak far too quickly for anyone to parse, as I grew older I got into the habit of overly restricting my voice to the point that I'd almost whisper all the time constantly making an effort to not speed off and lately I've been making an effort to loosen that tense control so as to speak so people can hear me properly consistently.

Deal with it, if anyone complains about them point out one of their many intrinsic "flaws" and tell them to fix it. It is not a medical problem unless people have difficulty understanding you on a day-day level, aka it's impacting your quality of life, most people who go to speech therapy find interacting with others on a day-day basis terrifying to the point of causing them to hide away, not simply endure the odd ribbing from a friend.

On the upside monotonous people tend to have an air of confidence and emotional stability about them, it doesn't have to be considered a flaw, I personally am entirely content with how I come across in that regard, people generally take me for who I feel I am.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I went to speech therapy too for talking too fast and to learn how to say a letter or 2. I was only very young though. All I can remember is going to the park after :eek:.
    But is it something you really want to change? I know people with monotone voices and it's not bad. It's not like people can't understand it.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Get a job on the classical radio station nearest where you live. They'll be amped to have you on board.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People tell me I have a monotone life - I don't think there's any help for that :eek:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For speech therapy you need a referral from your regular doctor. In BC, at least, it is free with the referral.

The other thing you can look into is a singing teacher.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Practice in a mirror - hunch yourself forward a bit, smile, and shout like Billy Mays all the time.

You may scoff, but it'll work in time.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

maybe you don't really need speech therapy? maybe all you need to do is stop worrying that you sound gay?

12. newcronos macrumors regular

maybe because you are? :rolleyes:

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Any one have any interesting scrips that i could use

Any one have any interesting scrips that i could use to practice my voice with, practice my vocal range with. Practice different emotions with.