I've broke my hard-drive (EFI, Bootcamp etc)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Riddler, May 18, 2015.

1. The Riddler macrumors newbie

Hello, for a long time now i've been messing with my hard-drive and the EFI, GUID thingy. I've been trying to successfully install windows with a working sound driver but it never works and I never hear sound on my copy of Windows. In the process I might have messed around with the EFI or something and now my MacBook is stuck on a small partition and won't let me change it, it's stuck at "Preparing to partition disk" and doesn't change from there. There is also a disk0s1 that is refusing to be deleted, i've re-installed os x and had no change. I just want it fresh again so I can try install windows again with sound.

[​IMG]

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you're using a Mac that isn't Haswell or later, it will NEVER work, because only Haswell and later Macs support UEFI 2.0.

Earlier Macs do not support UEFI 2.0 and can only support in BIOS-CSM. If you install Windows in UEFI, you won't get several things working and there's no way to get around it.

Right now what you need to do is boot into Recovery, erase the entire drive (not just the partition), and reinstall OS X.