I've Cloned my Hardrive.. Will I lose my apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Keako, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Keako macrumors newbie

Hi there.. I'm running Leopard on an intel imac and have backed up my hard drive using Carbon Copy to an external. My plan is to reformat/wipe out my hard drive and then use Carbon Copy to restore it. I've backed up my much needed Creative Suite 3 and I don't have any discs to reinstall these programs. Will I lose these programs when I restore my hard drive from my external?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You shouldn't. Try booting from your external drive to be sure.

3. kolax macrumors G3

If you've cloned the hard drive (not just backed up the Applications folder) then you won't need to reinstall anything.

4. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I found that the clone I made with carbon copy slower than the original drive, I think because all files were copied in alphabetical order, yet during a traditional install the files would be in a more logical order, for an operating system. I think if I did it again I would use carbon copy clone as a backup but try and migrate using my Time Capsule.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Carbon Copy can work like Time Machine, but its main purpose is to create a clone of your hard drive.

7. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

What is the best way to sync two macs so the files are constantly kept the same on both machines?

8. j37V macrumors member

j37V

you can use time machine... if you're still with 10.4... you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do a full backup... then set it to do an incremental backup and it will copy excatly what you have on your computer or put the changed files in an archive... so its like time machine. you have the changed files in there so its no problem... the thing is over time, it will take up more space in your hard drive.