I've created the site but want someone else to add content

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tigirrl, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Tigirrl macrumors newbie

I've created a site for my group but don't want to be tied to updating it constantly. I've incorporated a "links" page where viewers can suggest a link to be added. Is there a way to have an html snippet that links to an html page that a pc or mac user can edit? Or, is there a different way to do this? Here is my scenario; I have a group member that is responsible for adding links to the "Links" page. They may be a mac or pc user and I don't want to give them full access to the iweb files. Is there a way for them to add links to the site I've created or, to maintain a simple .html page that will be linked to from the iweb site?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You could theoretically do it with JavaScript (and maybe some PHP if your web host supports it), but if you're using iWeb you probably don't know coding, which would make it even harder for you to do.

The basic idea though (if someone wants to try) would be to give the guy S/FTP permissions to the host so he can edit a single file. Then in iWeb add an HTML snippet with some JavaScript that loads that file using maybe a XML file load or do some AJAX to retrieve the contents and process it.

3. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

If you do decide to move off iWeb, then you should consider using a "wiki". It's a type of website where multiple people can edit the site. It's usually used for information sharing/publishing among a group of people. Wikipedia is an example, but there are many more. My company uses a few internally.

Here's an article about that type of software:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki