I've decided to buy an iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Beach Guy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Beach Guy macrumors member

I've found a tremendous amount of helpful information using this forum...thanks! My current Dell desktop desperately needs to be replaced, and after much research I've decided to buy an iMac. My question: should I wait to purchase my iMac until more of the bugs are worked out of the new operating system? I really want as smooth a transition as possible from my Dell to my iMac. I don't expect any transition to be perfect, but the smoother the better. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

No (obvious) bugs here on Lion. If you have the money available my advice would be to buy now.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

Buy it now, you won't regret:)

4. Texran macrumors regular

There is probably more bugs in your old Dell than the new Lion.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. 50548 Guest

First of all, congratulations on your decision and welcome to the superior world.

With a new Mac, your computer will already have Lion clean installed, so only minor bugs should occur as is natural with any major .0 release.

But since you're coming from the traumatic realm of Windows PCs, you may wish to check the following links:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

As for Windows virtualization options (in case you need to run some legacy Windows app alongside Mac OS X):

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330195-263.html

All current options offered by Apple are excellent, depending on your usage pattern:

- iMac for the best all-in-one on Earth (I have a Core i7 3.4 iMac myself, faster than pretty much any PC out there);

- Mac Mini for a great option without monitor, although GFX may not be as ideal for gaming and 3D apps;

- Mac Pros for sheer power, although they should be updated soon;

- MBPs and MBAs for the best in portability with power - NO Windows PC laptop comes close in terms of build quality, design, power and footprint.

Cheers and good luck!

7. mac-ho macrumors member

The longer you wait, the less time you have to enjoy it. (Old Chinese saying) Or maybe I heard it at the Bar!!

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

The hardware is just a platform for the software tools you need.

It's impossible to answer your questions without knowing what software you intend to run, or at least what tasks you hope to accomplish on your new computer.

Most big commercial stuff runs fine on Lion, but there are exceptions. Go to roaringapps.com and you can see what is working and what isn't; if your software isn't, then wait.

Rob

9. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I just got home with my new iMac...really looking forward to setting it up! Gotta admit, I'm a little nervous too. Those links were very helpful!

10. washburn macrumors 6502

what model did you get?

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've been using Lion since launch day and I can't think of an OS with fewer bugs. I mean a few older apps didn't work, but I knew that going in. I wish Microsoft would figure out that you've gotta stop supporting 20-year-old apps if you want your OS to work properly.

Learn how to use the multitouch gestures with either the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. You can do plenty with the mouse. I looooooove it. I just can't wait for iOS 5 so I don't have to plug stuff into my computer for syncing. Enjoy the new computer!

12. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just finished unpacking my iMac...wow is all I can say!

I purchased the 27 inch with the I5 processor...4gb of RAM.

It is gonna take some time getting used to everything, but I already realize I should have done this a long time ago. A lot to learn...

13. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

14. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everything... Unpacked and set up my iMac today...transferred most of my files from my pc. Most of the day I was exploring the settings and operating system. I also spent some time playing with iMovie (one of the main reasons for the switch). Updated/backed up iPhones and my iPad too.

Any tweaks or tips/suggestions for a new iMac user?

15. YEEZY macrumors member

Download some tweaks and some nice apps!

Spotify for music.
    Adium for chatting.

There are a lot more, look around! I'm very jealous of you :D

16. pinkcannon macrumors newbie

17. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I'd suggest a used G5 iMac running Tiger. You can run Classic with it.

18. Texran macrumors regular

Your going to be very happy once you get over the transition.