I've deleted a system font!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JayceyF, Jul 11, 2014.

1. JayceyF macrumors newbie

I've two issues regarding fonts, but one is more important than the other - i.e. I've deleted a system font. I'm in a quandary - whilst messing around with fonts, I made a copy folder for my system fonts in case this happened. So, you say, copy them back into the original folder. Ah, but when I try and do that, I get this:-

[​IMG]

So I'm stuck! I can't do what I want to do, because that particular system font is missing. Does anyone know what it's called? (And it won't let me fill it in with what I know should go in the boxes.)

Also, when I look at my Firefox now, I get this bizarre font showing on the tabs and in the location & Google bars (and in some Finder windows):-

[​IMG]

This is the main issue to be solved. The other issue is Mac fonts generally - I could cry when I install them. No matter how many times I do it, the ones I want just DO NOT appear in my list in Word, PowerPoint etc. - this is so frustrating! I can see them in Font Book, but I just can't use them. I've tried telling Font Book to only use my User Fonts folder and vice versa, but it doesn't make any difference. So I copied all fonts from everywhere into one font copy folder, deleted them everywhere else and reinstalled them. All great - apart from the system fonts of course. (Why do Apple make this so HARD? Even Windows fonts made more sense than this!) :confused:

Therefore I need some urgent help for item one, please - and possibly for item two, if anyone can explain this. (In words of one syllable please, and speak slowly as if to a very old person - when I look at other replies to problems here, I just don't understand the terminology sometimes - sorry! :eek:) Thank you SO much!

PS. Before this happened, I checked (or thought I had) the system fonts list with the list here:- OS X: Fonts included with Mavericks - but I must have inadvertently missed one out?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just command-r boot to recovery and reinstall the OS on top of itself without erasing anything and that will put the fonts back.

You should backup first just to be safe, but this resinstall will not wipe your data.

3. JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

Slowly please - "command-r boot"?? Does that mean I should do a restart whilst pressing Cmd-R? And it won't 'undo' anything or override anything important? (Sorry! :eek:)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry... yes exactly. :)

You will get this screen then just click Reinstall OS X.

It will not change or erase anything.

[​IMG]

5. JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! I'm really grateful, thanks very much! :) (And oddly, it sorted out the other font problem too?! :eek:)

6. JayceyF, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again to all - I thought this was over, but it isn't! Would you believe that I still got the blank dialogue box whilst trying to do an admin task?! :mad: I really thought everything was fixed, but clearly not..... another recovery I suppose. :confused:

And I still have a problem with loading new fonts that don't show up - surely I don't have to do a recovery every time I want to use a newly installed font?! :eek: (NB. Just discovered that this problem is only with Microsoft apps!)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The OS X standard fonts should have been fixed with the reinstall. Sounds like you have some MS specific fonts that are still borked from your deletions earlier. Try a reinstall of MS Office and see if that replaces the misusing MS fonts.

Also, try going to Font Book app then command-a to select all then in the File menu select Validate Font. That will tell you if you have fonts corrupted.

8. JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, you patient person. :) This general fonts thing is as weird as hell! On a whim, I booted up in Safe mode and reinstalled the new fonts - then after a normal boot, I could see two out of three of them in PowerPoint. I give up now, that will do me! :rolleyes: (I also deleted the Microsoft fonts cache, suggested by someone else - that may have helped?) So I'll leave MS Office as it is for now.......

However, I'm still stuck with my blank box (see my first post)! Even after a reinstall, this is still haunting me and clearly making life really difficult - there's so much I can't do, of course. I'm going to try one more reinstall and report back on this - which is the most serious problem of all really. :(

9. JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

After yet another reinstall, I still have my blank box!! Urgent suggestions please! :eek:

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you still seeing this only with MS apps? If so, I think you are going to need to reinstall Office to get the MS fonts back.

12. qparis macrumors newbie

Can you open a Terminal (Utilities Folder) (if possible) and type:

ls -1 /Library/Fonts > "$HOME/Desktop/output1.txt"

ls -1 /System/Library/Fonts > "$HOME/Desktop/output2.txt"

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari 2> "$HOME/Desktop/output3.txt" >> "$HOME/Desktop/output3.txt"

Attach outputs (they will be placed on your desktop) here

13. JayceyF thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry for delay in coming back - and thanks for all the general fonts advice, I'm actually all sorted there now. :) My only problem now is my 'empty box', so if I have to do anything which requires authentication, I now just go into safe mode and do it there (because the box isn't empty there!). That will have to do for now - I can live with it like that, I guess! :rolleyes: