I've done so many things, still can't get my imac to load

Discussion in 'iMac' started by evansville, Nov 17, 2011.

1. evansville macrumors newbie

First of all, I have installed Lion, so there is no installation disk to try and boot from, I can't get my 24" 2008 imac to load past the grey screen.

I've unhooked all the cables, held down the power button for 5 seconds, reattached the cables, powered it back up,while holding down the P-R-command-option keys, no luck.

I've tried starting it holding down command, command option, shift, no luck. I did get an arrow once, I think I was holding the option key down when I started it and got an arrow.

I've unplugged it several times, all the cables, hoping it would reset, but it hasn't.

Can someone help me. I'm hours away from a Genius, I'm on my own here. I hear the tone when I boot, but I can't get to the Apple logo. My time machine is backed up to an external drive, thank goodness, I can hear the motor whirring when I first boot, it just won't finish the load.

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-what comes up if you just hold down "option"?

-you don't have original leopard/snow leopard dvd to see if you could run disk utility?

-guess you could try dl Ubuntu live dvd to see if your issue is software or hardware related...

3. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it up

Tom, I finally got it up by unplugging and holding the power button several times.

I'm now doing a disk repair on it. Now my fan is noisy, that happened one other time and quit, now it's noisy again.

I obviously have issues. I'm going to run a hardware diagnostics check next. Thanks for helping me.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

after you try and figure out your issues you may have to reset your smc in order to get the fans running correctly...

-Shut down the computer.
    - Unplug the computer's power cord.
    - Wait fifteen seconds.
    - Attach the computer's power cord.
    - Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.