I've earned my right to post here, just got a macintosh classic!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by likemyorbs, Jan 8, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Just scored myself a macintosh classic for $50. im so excited!!!

EDIT: ITS FINALLY HERE, HERE'S SOME PICS.

Attached Files:

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations :). I think they've aged remarkably well aesthetically. Still really well-proportioned. They still look cool to me anyway :eek:.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

but what do you think about the deal? you think $50 is ok?

4. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Free is always better, but you were willing (and happy!) to pay $50, so I'd say that was a good deal. And, you can boot it into 6.0.3 from ROM by holding down Command + Option + X + O keys during startup.

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

From the pic it looks in very good condition so $50 seems ok. The first mac I ever used was a Plus and I have very fond memories of them. Sweet find

6. LowEnder macrumors member

Congratulations! it's a beauty!!
    What have you done with it so far?

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

lol, nothing because i'm still waiting for it to come from colorado, thats the picture from ebay. the seller has good communication and good feedback so im confident. as soon as it gets here ill take some real pics.

8. Mac SK macrumors member

Awesome! Try to find an external SCSI hard drive to hook up to that puppy,
    there big and square and sit under the classic.;)

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Nice, oh the memories we had with one of those, all those old school games too

11. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

12. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    That one looks to be in very good condition- Nice!

13. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Probably NURBS and FluidEffects in Maya. :D :D Congrats! :cool:

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thanks for that!! it should be coming within the next few days, im like peeing my pants waiting for it.

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Guess it depends on where you're at. I got mine for $10 about 6 years ago.

16. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

The machine looks great. Several years ago my dad was the technology director for an education co-op. Basically they had multiple school districts that paid dues to belong to the co-op and in those dues that would get services and they should share the cost. These services including numerous things like transportation, special education, accounting, and of course technology. The technology was a large part of what the co-op did. It was much cheaper for all the schools to upgrade computer labs at the same time and so the co-op could order 1000 machines and get them at good prices.
    These upgrades each time led to the old machines being put on pallets and stored in a warehouse.

Sadly, around 2000 and 2001 the schools began to migrate to PCs. This led to all the Apple computers to be cleared out. With that they decided to clear out the warehouse and have an auction. Very few people bid on this old Apple gear (and there was a number of other stuff in the mix). A company was paid to properly recycle the computer equipment. At that time I was living with my parents and didn't have room for any more computer equipment. So missed out on the chance to get my Mac Classic.

Good find! I can't wait to have one! They are great looking machines and it would be nice to use one as a terminal (surely there is a good telnet App for the old OS).

17. boonchunt macrumors newbie

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

awsome machine! hope everything is still in working order, gotta love playing those classic games.

get "Spetre". its the best game :O

goodluck with the Macintosh, that was the first Mac our house ever owned too. its great!

19. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I got one a few years back, and I'd came with an apple stylewrighter III colour printer. Exactly how I was meant to use a colour printer with a grayscale monitor, I never quite figured out.

20. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

nice, I remember using one of the original macintosh 128Ks while in high school :)

21. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

IVE FINALLY RECEIVED MY CLASSIC!!! its awesome, great shape. my only question for anyone familiar with the old mac os is what the hell is that mini clock overlapping my regular clock? and why cant i get rid of it?

Attached Files:

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

looks like an extension, you can probably find it in the Extensions Folder somewhere in the System Folder. goodluck finding it lol.

23. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

what are extensions?? if it makes it easier, the computer came with a disk called "system startup disk", will that disk allow me to completely reinstall the os?

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup it should do, any true classic addict would know to include proper reinstall disks.

extensions are just that, they can extend the system to perform better/look better. seems like that clock is doing that, if you go into the Control Panel menu (when you hit the apple button up the top left) you MIGHT be able to find it there somewhere..

25. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thanks, im actually gonna go and look up some instructions on how to reinstall the os on that. i want to make it mine... it still has the old owners name on the hd folder. and its an ugly name too.."terry".