I've finially made the change from windows to mac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sdtexas4, Jun 1, 2008.

1. sdtexas4 macrumors member

I recently ordered my new iMac 20"

2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
    4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
    IWORK 08 065-7553 IWORK '08 PREINSTALLED
    MOUSE (FOR AOS) 065-7633 APPLE MIGHTY MOUSE
    APPLE KEYBOARD & USER'S GUIDE 065-7638 WIRED KYBD & USER'S GUIDE

I'm extremely excited! I placed my order the 28th and it says its due to be delivered may 30-june 4th. It says that it is in taledo OH. When should i start expecting it. I mean this is taking for freaking ever to deliever its just starting to piss me off lol.

2. Jaschr macrumors member

Congrats. I know waiting for something to ship can be excruciating. Just remember, a watched pot never boils. It'll get there.

3. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

yeah, dont worry too much on the shipping man. I ordered mine the 16th it got here the 28th. It takes a while.

Once you do get it, you'll fall in love. This is my first mac machine and I just can't get off it.. it does everything.

take care.

4. Lucion macrumors newbie

I just ordered my first Mac last week and the wait is killing me! I would check the order status page every few hours. Mine shipped on Friday and is due on Wednesday. I just wish the FedEx site was as detailed as the UPS site so I could chart the course of my precious cargo.

At least the wait gave Amazon time to deliver the hardware and software I ordered to go along with it. Plus I have plenty of time to read just about everything I can to learn about these things. I'm fairly confident I have most of the issues I might have in switching from PC to Mac figured out.

Very exciting.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats .. :)

The waiting is terrible but it will be worth the wait.
    Once you experience a Mac, you will never change back.

My only regret was not "switching" sooner .. :(
    (I hate to confess, I used PC's for over 20 years) .. :eek::eek:

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Welcome the Apple world fellas. You will love your new iMacs. I made the switch back in December.

Just be prepared for a slight learning curve. Nothing major. Once you get out of the Windows mentality, you never want to go back.

7. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Congratulations to the both of you.

I was in Best Buy last night in Jax (this store did not havy any apples to speak of except the mice and keyboards). This one lady was looking at HP laptops. I told her to go to the Apple Store and go get a mac. I told her that I have had my mac for a year and half without any viruses or problems. She was duly impressed. I could have gone on a lot longer with her but there were sales people around. ;)

He is absolutely correct on this one.

8. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on the new purchase- hope it arrives swiftly for you :)

It's a cliche-and-a-half but once you've gone Mac, you never go back.

The only downside for me is I have to use really badly configured XP machines at work- it's torture when I've a shiny iMac waiting for me :(

9. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Congrats, and just something, the wait is actually the best part, because when you have it, you have it.

10. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

Agreed!!

the unboxing and first turn on was the most exciting part of my whole experience thus far.

lucky i captured the moment on some videos with my phone!

11. rayward macrumors 65816

The weird thing for me was that, having been indoctrinated into WinPC nonsense for years, the first booting of my iMac was a huge anti-climax. It just booted and was ready. Nothing else for me to do except start using it. Where's the fun in that!

12. xxjuicymintxx macrumors regular

Gotta chime in and say congrats. Can never hear it enough eh? As for shipping, as everyone else has said - it'll get here. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets theirs quickly.

Maybe not? I'll give you my best of luck though!

13. sdtexas4 thread starter macrumors member

Well thank you all. I'm extremely excited and can not wait for it to come. Now the problem is that Fedex tracking site says that it the tracking update should update on june 2nd well its passed june second and I don't have an update yet. My girlfriends says that it has been in transit from toledo sense friday and still is not here yet. Its just frustrating...

14. Kittychan macrumors regular

You have just made the best choice in your life :) What a turning point ;)

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

How many girlfriends do you have? At least you have something to keep you occupied while you wait. :D

16. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

I agree!

I am on my first mac right now - had it about a week. Absolutely LOVE it.

I should've waited for the freakin Back to School specials though... could've gotten a free iPod Touch...
    DAMNNNNNNN

oh well.
    no complaints here!

17. radesousa macrumors member

I switched too! I just got my 20" iMac and I'm really pleased. :D I was a PC user for years and I finally got tired of Windoz many problems so I switched. Although I have to confess I loaded Windoz XP via Boot Camp and it works well (yeah, I know that's an oxymoron statement... :p ).

18. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Same here...

I wish I could bring my 24" iMac in to work. My 19" monitor at work seems tiny ever since I got the iMac.

Sometimes when I get fed up with my crappy 4 year old Dell at work, I bring my MBP in and just use our webmail system for email. We have WiFi for visitors, so I just jump on that.

19. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Instead of starting my own thread about this, do you mind if I vent here?

I bought my iMac online...from an Apple Retail Store, because I wanted a bigger HDD. This was Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It was supposed to come today (5 Business days).

It didn't, instead I was greeted to a door hanger, that said that I had to sign it and hang it on my door. This way TOMORROW (6 business days later) they could leave it on my doorstep.

Why couldn't I have just printed the stupid door tag from my computer and received my iMac today?! If the end result is that they are going to leave it on my doorstep without someone physically being here then, I would have preferred they did it today. Furthermore, I would've rather gone and just picked it up today...like now. But I can't do that either.

I hate FedEx and I am upset that at an Apple Store they could not perform a simple upgrade.

-----

EDIT: do you live in Texas? I live in Ohio, my iMac had to come from California and your's from Ohio...now that just adds insult to injury.

20. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Brother Michael, that usually means that they tried to deliver, but no one answered.

I've definitely had at least one time where I waited at home for Fed Ex to deliver and the doorbell never rang. (And I can definitely hear my doorbell ring) Only to find when I go outside later that they put the notice on the door that no one was home and I have to go pick it up or schedule another delivery.

I think sometimes the drivers just get lazy and don't feel like getting the box out.

21. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Oh don't get me wrong here, no one was home...we were all at work. We work at 10:30 in the morning. Also, if I had been allowed to go pick it up, that would have been fine too. But I called the Customer Service number on the back of the hanger and they said that was impossible for me to get it today, whether I drove to the center or not. They said when the trucks get back to the center, they close up.

My complaint is that if the end result was a door hanger, I wish I could've just printed a door hanger from the internet tracking page and gotten the computer today. I mean no one will be home tomorrow either, but now they have a door hanger with my signature on it to confirm that it can be left on the porch.

In either case, I know I will get it and I know it will be amazing, I'm just a little annoyed at how the whole thing played out. My last Mac was bought on eBay and shipped to me within like 3 days of buying it...by the US Postal Service :eek:

--------

ALSO To the original poster: I wanted to add this but I forgot, my tracking order had Reno, NV and In Transit on it and then nothing. For like 5 days it stayed that way, then on Monday it said it was in Grove City. When I checked it AFTER the fact, all the information including the fact that no one was home to receive it was listed.

My guess it that FedEx doesn't tell you every little city that the package (computer) is being driven through.

22. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

If you bought it from the Apple online store, they tell you that they require signature for any delivery unless you print out the form to opt out of it and place it on your door. This is because a lot of their stuff is expensive and they don't want to be responsible things stolen from your front porch.

I just bought an iMac and a couple of other things and it definitely said it for me. I printed out the forms for 2 things that were coming, but didn't want them to leave the iMac on the front porch, so I waited at home for it to be delivered so I could sign.

As far as the Reno, NV thing. Mine said the same thing. A buddy I work with used to work for UPS and he said he thought a lot of trains came out of Reno. I don't know if Fed Ex uses trains, but if it got loaded on a train and shipped across the country, it likely wouldn't stop much if at all before it arrived on the east coast.

23. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I can understand the logic, but I never saw any of those forms. I like your idea of waiting at home for it though. I may just take off work tomorrow and wait for it then, just to make sure there are no problems.

I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense though. I would imagine in today's gas strapped economy, FedEx would use trains for anything cross country not airmail.

EDIT: Boss ok'd me staying home for the package in the morning...now watch it come in the afternoon ;)

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple does not deliver your product. Apple use a delivery service.

The carrier had tried to deliver it on time. If you know you are not there to pick it up, that's your own fault. Do you not know what the tracking number is used for? On the day of delivery, the tracking would say: on vehicle for delivery. :rolleyes:

In addition, if no signature is required or you actually read and pre-sign the package, you seems to be the type of person who would blame anyone but YOURSELF, if the package walked away (say by a theif because no one signed for it and it's just sitting there). :rolleyes:

25. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yeah, I'd be careful on that one. It told me it was coming on a Saturday. I had to make a 2.5 hour road trip that day, but didn't want to leave until it got there. It even said out for delivery at like 7:45am. It didn't get there until 7:15 PM.