iPad I've gone iOS ONLY; How to Connect External to HD?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HappyDude20, Jun 9, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've rid my MacBook pro to my mom and now have only my iPhone and iPad. Aside, I have an external HD which has every file of my life that I consider important. I'm wondering if there a Jailbreak solution in connecting my external HD to my iPad, in case I need to obtain any file from within.

Considering what new MacBooks are introduced in a few days will determine whether I decide to go completely iOS for the next while or if I'll get a MacBook. My external hd is 500gbs and would love if the new MacBooks still use HDDs rather than solid states... But I don't wanna go too off topic.

Any external hd solutions in connecting it to an iPad? Or even iPhone? Without it being too complicated.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The iPad Camera connection kit in combination with iFile should do the trick.

Do some research on it, it worked on 5.01 but i haven't tried it on 5.1.1

You'll need the extrenal HDD to be powered seperately as it pulls too much from the ipad.

iFile should allow you the browse the external HDD.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

In addition to HDDs powered externally, you can play around different brands and sizes of USB sticks. I've gotten some of my 1GB and 2GB sticks to work. None of my 8GB works, however. And I don't have a 4GB to test. So I'm going to guess that 4GB may be the largest portable carrying capacity you have.

I am on 5.1.1 by the way. Perhaps if you need larger drives, you can find a jailbreak developer who can increase the power output to the CKK. I'm sure this can be done.