I've got 2 Mail Apps!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John T, Nov 2, 2010.

1. John T macrumors 68020

John T

At the end of September I purchased a new 21.5 iMac. On setting it up, and in order to preserve my settings (particularly iTunes for my iPhone!) I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything across from my original G5 iMac.

Everything went well, Applications upgrading to Snow Leopard where necessary etc. Except..... one day I noticed I now had two Mail Apps folders in the Application folder - one entitled "Mail" and the other "Mail (original)". They both worked identically and, on examination, the contents of their individual packages was also identical - even down to their plists.

Assuming it would cure the problem, I deleted the "Mail (original)" folder. Big mistake!! Now, when entering Mail I was back to the original "Set up a new Account" screen! After re-entering my account details, all was (and still is) back to normal - with the two Mail Apps!

This doesn't really bother me, I just have one icon in the Dock. However it would be nice if some kind soul could enlighten me how I can get rid of that "Mail (original)" folder from my Applications folder!!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hahaah thats funny
    oen them both up, one at a time, and check the version number, delete the lower/older one.
    mine is 4.3 (1081)

3. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

No luck I'afraid! They're both the same as yours :(