I've got 3k for a new system. I'm open to a few options...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by modular, May 15, 2009.

  1. modular macrumors regular

    Apr 10, 2009
    I bought my 1.8 dual g5 new from apple october 2004. I've got an apple 20" cinema display on it. it's approaching 5 years old - about time to upgrade. I plan on selling the g5 along with the cinema display to add to my funding (already included in the 3k). Next month I'll be walking into the apple store, and making it rain with the 3k reserved for my new system.

    with this amount of money, i have quite a few options, but one I've ruled out is another powermac. I'm looking to clean up my set up with either a 24" imac or a macbook pro (15 or 17). I can't seem to decided on a system yet, so I'm looking for your opinions.

    The uses of this machine will be divided up between CS4 (photoshop and flash), and also some heavy Aperture use. As more of a hobby, I'll also be regularly using Final Cut Studio editing and grading 720p footage. In addition to this I'll be doing some occasional 3D modeling and rendering as well (Maya).

    So, with all that said, I'm most strongly considering these setups (the highest configured store bought models):

    imac 24"
    macbook pro 17"
    macbook pro 15" with the 24" Apple LED.

    Screen resolution is important. I love the res on the 17" but I wonder if i'll be squinting at it when it's docked on my desk. would it be better to get the 15 and 24" led?? I like the idea of always having the large res with the 17". is it hard to go from using your external to the 15" resolution when on the road? I can't imaging working in a smaller resolution than my current 20" display.

    with portability, I don't plan to take the laptop with me everyday. I like the idea that I can bring it to work if i need to, or the library for some quiet time. But for probably 80% of the time it will be docked on my desk at home. does this mean i should just get an imac? so many options!!

    ok, enough rambling. any thoughts or opinions from those in a similar profession/situation would be greatly appreciated! I don't plan to buy another computer for another 3-4 years, so this is a big decision for me.
  2. Willis macrumors 68020


    Apr 23, 2006
    Beds, UK
    Well, I'd say the iMac because it has a little more grunt than the 17" not to mention a bigger screen for a lower price.

    BUT... both laptops are a good idea. Simply comes down to if you want a laptop or not.

    So yeah, I'm sticking with the iMac
  3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

    Shake 'n' Bake

    Mar 2, 2009
    Go for the iMac. And BTW, Apple stopped making Power Macs in 2006. They're called Mac Pros now.
  4. Nuc macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2003
    I vote...

    I vote for 17" MBP... However, go to the store and try them out before buying.

  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Why no mac pro? You know those 5 years you got out of that powermac? You're not likely to get that out of anything but a mac pro. And before people jump all over me, I'm not saying a MBP or imac won't be running, I'm just saying only the mac pro will continue to meet the system requirements to run newer software acceptably.

    But given the options you laid out, I'd say 15" MBP + 24" display. You say you'll be at your desk 80% of the time; well, 20% of the time away from your desk is still a lot. Definitely enough to make you regret being tethered to your desk with an imac. (and for the record, I have an imac, love it, and have no desire to go back to a laptop. but if I were interested in using my mac away from my desk as much as 20% of the time, I'd certainly go for a MBP)
  6. huck500 macrumors 6502


    May 10, 2004
    Southern California
    With the apps you're planning to use, I'm not sure why the Pro is out of the question... sounds like more power could only be a good thing for you.

    That said, I'd go for the MBP for the portability... you state that 80% of the time you'll be at your desk, but with the iMac surely that'll be 100%...

    Edit: Of course someone would write almost the same post one minute earlier...:(
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    I'd say wait for the rumored MacBook updates. It's a toss-up between the 15" and 17" MBP, maybe the 17" for the resolution, but if the 15" gets a 1680x1050 option, then perhaps that with an ACD would be best.

Share This Page