I've got 54938 lines of data to graph

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millertime021, Jan 22, 2011.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to make a graph from data I have in an excel spreadsheet. It's from a Differential Equations extra credit assignment from last year, but I was curious to see how the data looked graphed (I know the general shape, but still curious, I like numbers and graphs ;)). Basically, Excel 2011 can't graph it. I think 255 lines is the max? Either way, it runs at 100% and goes to 1.82GB used before it crashes, if you try to graph it. So basically, I need/want a graphing program that can actually graph the data. Any ideas?

TL;DR 54938 lines of data, I need to make a graph and Excel won't work. Help!

2. ml05482 macrumors newbie

plot

If you really want to use Excel, you can break up the data into smaller sections and plot them as separate series on the same plot. Excel doesn't handle large data sets well in general though. A nice free option is Plot: http://plot.micw.eu/
    It hasn't been updated in a long time but works well and can do a lot. You can paste your data from excel into plot (2 columns of data for x and y). Did I mention it is free? There are a many other options for $$.

3. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I don't care if I use Excel or not, I had just originally used Excel to make the data.

I will give that a shot. Thank you!

4. millertime021, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Graphical Analysis helped me out!

Graph = Success

Thanks for the help!

5. ml05482 macrumors newbie

Yeah there is a bit of a learning curve. The easiest way if you have the data in excel is to copy the data in the form of 2 columns (x,y) and go to plot, click on the blank graph and paste it. You can see the data if you pull up the 'data view' window - I think you can click paste on that window as well. The data inspector shows each series of data you have on the graph. You can see how many data points there are, change the name, show or hide series, etc. You can also import data from text or csv files. The help information on the website is pretty useful.

--> Just saw your post - glad it worked!