I've got $700 CAD to blow on a home-recording setup.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cleanup, Oct 1, 2010.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Suggestions? :)

I've been making due with an AT2020 USB for about a year now but I'm just not satisfied with the sound. There's lots of background noise, but the levels don't seem great. I want a proper interface with adequate levels, low noise (a good compressor) and at least two channels. Proper mics for vocals, strings (acoustic, classical & a ukulele... the acoustic and classical can be plugged in). Stands? Pop-filters? Etc.

I'm running Windows 7, by the by.

Bonus points for any interface that can also take a USB mic.

I'm a complete newb at this, so please be gentle!

Thanks. :)

2. mpdonlanjr macrumors newbie

i have a presonus firestudio mobile (comes with studio one so its windows friendly) and it does a pretty good job recording vocals and acoustic guitar. I am pairing it with a AT2020 xlr microphone and it does a good job.

Id say get a firewire interface presonus makes good ones so does apogee.

Get a proper microphone Condenser preferred maybe a matching set if you wanna do double micing of an acoustic guitar one at the sound whole and one on the fingerboard.

A good monster xlr cable that is double shielded cost around $30.00 us for 6ft

Decent Boom Stand and pop filter for vocals

i use all this with garage band and my attempts to figure out logic.

Go to your local music center and ask the recording guys they will usually hep you stick in your budget. I got my gear because my friends used the bigger versions of the stuff i bought and i figured it be good for doing rough demos of my bands songs as well as acoustic stuff i write on my own.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Windows 7? How comes? (y'know, this being Macrumors 'n all)
    Anyway, check out MOTU stuff. Maybe something like an Ultralight. Good quality, solid and reliable. Not especially expensive. Works on Macs & PC's, and has effects like compression etc built in.

Also, you won't find an audio interface that can take a USB mic, as USB mic's essentially contain their own audio interface in order to work, so you plug that directly into the computer, not your audio interface.
    If you want to use a USB Mic, and a separate audio interface, then you are at the mercy of Windows 7 and it's abilities to handle 2 audio interfaces simultaneously, or not. This isn't really a problem for OS X though, but that isn't what you use, so..

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

get a realtraps PVB for an instant upgrade.

then save a few bucks and get the interface and a better mic as budget allows.

please avoid monster cable -- it's overpriced, not very good, and their company is a nasty piece of work. Guitar Center sells mogami XLRs if you're looking for quality, though at the moment your cable certainly won't be the weak link.