I've got a doozy of a water damage question.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mhphoto, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mhphoto macrumors newbie

Hi there. I've done some searches on this forum but didn't come up with anything matching my predicament.

Somehow an iPod touch got left in a pair of pants (not saying it was my wife...) and went through the entire wash cycle.

Very bad. We tried to turn it on, but it flickered on for a second then died.

Two minutes later we read to never turn them on after such an event. :(

We also read to leave it out in the sunlight for a little bit. That didn't seem like too good of an idea but we did. Couldn't get any worse.

A few hours of baking I hooked it up to the charger. The low battery screen came up. I tried restarting it but only got a blank screen with little lines across.

I restarted it enough times that it went back to the low battery screen and I left it alone.

This morning, it works perfectly. All the music, apps, etc. still work, except for one thing: the wifi.

When you go into Settings the wifi setting says "No Wi-Fi".

It's been restarted, reformatted, and everything in between but the wifi still doesn't work.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to restore the wifi or is this a hardware problem that would require sending it in (not gonna do that) and we should just be happy everything else works?

Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, you read up on this, and never saw anything about putting the iPhone in a bag of rice for SEVERAL days?

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'd say your lucky as hell to have any functionality at all.

Running any electronic device through the wash is about the worst thing you can do it it, much much worse than just getting it wet by getting caught out in the rain.

Heat, detergents, total and sustained immersion, physical jarring... I don't think the rice trick would have saved you.

Honestly, I'm shocked it works at all. I'd consider it on it's last legs, something is bound to fail at some point, consider any use you get out of it now being total bonus time.

4. mhphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I guess we'll just be happy it works at all. ;)

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

I have saved every gadget device I have owned that has gotten wet by striping them down as much as I can (you cant with ipods/iphones) and placing them under a lamp for as long as I feel they have dried out and it has worked everytime.

obviously I have never tried to turn any of them on
    (I only found out of the rice method after I joined these forums but have always stuck with what I know works.

anything like this:

[​IMG]

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think you should be grateful that it didnt die forever!!!!! :p

If this happens again or something, then ive heard of alot of people putting their ipod in a bowl of uncooked rice and then just let it stay in there for like 4-6 days.