I've got a Powermac G5!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aislepathlight, Aug 5, 2010.

1. aislepathlight macrumors member

I picked up a Power Mac G5 2.3 Dual Core, a 20 inch ACD, a keyboard, and a mouse earlier today for $400! Now comes decision making time for me. I haven't really put a ton of thought into what my goals are with this computer, but I just knew that it was time for me to get my first desktop.

I've had two basic thoughts. 1 would be to hang on to it as a relic of Apple computing of old (specifically PPC). The second option is to gut the insides of it, and then build something else inside. Its a really beautiful (albeit heavy and huge) case.

Is anyone out there actually using a G5 as their main computer? Are they just too common to be worth while leaving in (relatively) pristine condition? The case isn't blemish free, but there are only 2 or 3 knicks in the aluminum.

Thanks all!

2. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I use that exact same computer with 4 GB of RAM, and it's my main machine. I think one day when I have more money I'll put 16 GB in it just for the heck of it.
    :D

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

One of the best Macs Apple has ever built, in my opinion. It's hard to believe how usable that machine still is after 5 years. $400 was a great deal especially with the 20" ACD, hopefully it's the aluminum version :p. How much memory did it come with? I'd suggest upgrading to at least 4gb and it will be a beast and will basically handle just about anything you throw at it, besides Windows emulation and anything else strictly Intel.

Congrats :)

Oh and I wouldn't gut that model. That's best for picking up one of the older dual or single processor G5s :D

4. aislepathlight thread starter macrumors member

Mine came with 8*512MB of ram. Its running wonderfully, and I too thought about how cheeply I could shove some more ram in to it.

And the ACD is the aluminum one, so I'm really happy. I'm also on the market for another, larger ACD...

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

All G5 cases are identical, if you want to do something like this, get cheapest one - 1.6 single CPU (dead will be best/cheapest).
    Enjoy this 2.3 DC as is (or upgrade it a little) - it has best value/performance/reliability ratio of all G5 models.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, a lot of people still use those computers as main computers! :D