I've got a pretty long story here and need your help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LaeeqB, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LaeeqB macrumors newbie

OK, so I've got a pretty long story here. Hope you guys can help me out.

About a month ago, I bought an iPhone 3G off of Craigslist and it came with iOS 4. I jailbroke and unlocked it using Pwnage Tool and Ultrasn0w. I was easily able to sync it to iTunes. Then, I sold the 3G and bought the 3GS to have something faster. However, that 3GS came with OS 3.1.3 and the new bootrom and I jailbroke and unlocked it before syncing it to my laptop. The owner did not give me any SIM with it and I only have my T-Mobile SIM. Afterwards, I tried syncing the 3GS to my laptop and it says to either set up a new iPhone or restore what I had on my jailbroken 3G with OS 4.0. Now, I have no idea what to do because I am afraid I will have to activate the iPhone 3GS if I try to set up a new iPhone or restore it and I don't have any ATT SIM or even a Phonebook SIM (of which I heard people are having problems with). Right now, I have the 3GS working with OS 3.1.3 but every time I put in the USB charger, all it does is charge and iTunes shows me the setup or restore page. I want to be able to upgrade to iOS 4 and sync my music, contacts, etc. I have heard that you can buy an inactive ATT 3G SIM from ATT and use that to activate the iPhone. Unfortunately, no one I know is willing to let me borrow their SIM. I desperately need help with this. Someone please reply. Thank you.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Just set it up as a new iPhone. If you try to restore from your backup of the 3G it will force you to upgrade to 4.0.1. Set up as new phone, and then manually put back everything you had before.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Find someone to let you use their sim for a minute.
    Nothing will change on their account.
    Or find an old inactive at&T sim.
    You can get one on ebay for $3-4 so you can use it to activate officially each time you need to restore or update your phone.

4. LaeeqB thread starter macrumors newbie

If I set it up as a new phone, will I have to activate it again? Also, is it possible to simply purchase an inactive ATT sim from the ATT store?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the activation is done before the setup as new or from backup option.
    You cant purchase an inactive sim from AT&T but you can purchase a prepaid $10 sim from them that would work fine.

6. LaeeqB thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thank you for the help! You guys are awesome and incredibly fast! I'll try setting it up as new and let you know if I have any problems.

7. LaeeqB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you so much! Setting up as a new iPhone worked without a hitch! Now my only question is: If I buy a prepaid SIM for $10 and I upgrade to iOS 4.0.1 and activate using that SIM, will ATT charge me whatsoever?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    How can they charge you and for what? Thru the prepaid sim?
    Not possible.

9. LaeeqB thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol sorry for sounding stupid and noobish but I just needed to make sure....