I've got a strange question.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I don't remember this happening with my old iPhone, but if I don't catch my phone at at least 1% and it ends up dying before I can get my charger, and it takes forever to get it charge back to at least 1%. I have the 6S. Why is that that it takes forever to get it back to at least one percent, the first time that it happened I was so worried because my old 5C died and never charged even after taking it (my old iPhone) to the Apple store.

Why does that happen?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I don't remember this happening with my old iPhone, but if I don't catch my phone at at least 1% and it ends up dying before I can get my charger, and it takes forever to get it charge back to at least 1%. I have the 6S. Why is that that it takes forever to get it back to at least one percent, the first time that it happened I was so worried because my old 5C died and never charged even after taking it (my old iPhone) to the Apple store.

Why does that happen?
How long does it take? "Forever" is a little ambiguous.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a serious reply. Thank you.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
It could be just some software anomaly. My iPhone 7 Plus will go right to 98/99% and then sit there for quite a while and wont go to 100% unless I unplug it and plug it back in. It's probably fully charged just not reporting it.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Good news! Your iPhone 6S may very well qualify for a free battery replacement. There is a program sponsored by Apple whereas you don't pay a thing. Apple also has on their site where you can look up your 6S to confirm it qualifies.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
If you don’t have any issues otherwise, I wouldn’t worry too much about it if the battery still provides acceptable life. Just grab your charger at 2%.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Why does that happen?
Hmmmm... I haven't had my phone down to 1% in a long time.

But if the phone completely died and you plugged it in... I thought it wouldn't turn back on until it reached 5% or so.

Or maybe that was my iPad (?)

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Why does that happen?
That is normal and it has to do with the Li-ion batteries. Try not to let your battery drain completely because that really harms the battery and shortens its life.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, how long is "forever".
45 seconds, 2 minutes, 5 minutes?
When you kill the battery completely where the phone shuts down then obviously the battery has to get to an acceptable charged level to power on and stay on for longer than 10 seconds without shutting off again.
What type of charging plug are you using?
The standard iPhone plug that came with it or a faster charging plug like an iPad plug?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is normal and it has to do with the Li-ion batteries. Try not to let your battery drain completely because that really harms the battery and shortens its life.
Realistically when you are down to 0% and the phone turns off the battery isn't completely empty as there's still some charge there so that it doesn't actually fully get drained. That said it's still not that great to get it down to that point, but it's not something that would really harm it if it doesn't happen too often.
[doublepost=1508994107][/doublepost]
Hmmmm... I haven't had my phone down to 1% in a long time.

But if the phone completely died and you plugged it in... I thought it wouldn't turn back on until it reached 5% or so.

Or maybe that was my iPad (?)
Usually some small percentage like that. I think it's been around 3% for the last few iPhones I had since iPhone 6.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013

Why does that happen?
I think it’s built into the software to ensure that it has enough battery to go through the boot sequence if it gets unplugged again before gaining back a few percent. But like many others have said, don’t let your battery get that low!! I get concerned when I’m below 20% because I don’t want to harm my battery. Letting your battery get down to 0% is decreasing the lifespan of your battery.

Zune55

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2015

Why does that happen?
Apple has recall program for iPhone 6s where there will replace your iPhone’s battery for free. Go to apple store with Genius Bar appointment and let them know.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Is there an app that I can use to check the capacity of my battery. I'm not sure battery health 2 that I have for my MBP will work, coconut battery did register iPhone capacity and cycles, but I took it off for some other reason.