Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Just this morning I've turned my computer on and in my menubar i've got a new item, an italic uppercase "F" in a white box with rounded corners.

I can't select it in anyway - tried single, double and key modifier clicks.

Has anyone else seen this? or know what it is? I've never had it before.

I also haven't installed any new software for at least a week.

thanks

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Well you could try restarting. If that doesn't work go to system prefs and go to accounts, then click the tab marked startup items. If there is any thing in there named 'f' just remove it. Or you cold go into activity mointor and see what processes are running and see if any one happens to be named f or has the letter f in it.

Thats all I got...

except maby your computer is trying to swear at you... ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
can you move it around in the menubar by holding option and dragging? That would tell you whether it's a menubar item or an actual program... also look for it's process in the Activity Monitor. I'm just not familiar with a program that uses such an icon.

paul

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
*blush**blush**blush**blush**blush**blush*

um...i found the problem (he says meekly)

I'd inadvertently hit the "F-Lock" button on the Logitech keyboard.

This keyboard has 18 extra buttons on it and I use not a single one of them!

I do wonder whether anyone uses all the extra buttons on keyboards?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
the f-lock is actually pretty useful on those keyboards. but if you don't use the buttons associated with it, and don't want to see if you accidentally hit it, you can turn off the display in the logitech control system pref. pane.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
paulwhannel said:
can you move it around in the menubar by holding option and dragging? That would tell you whether it's a menubar item or an actual program... also look for it's process in the Activity Monitor. I'm just not familiar with a program that uses such an icon.

paul

It's actually Command+drag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.