I've got an iPod Touch on the way...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nish123456, Jul 1, 2008.

1. nish123456 macrumors member

... and I was wondering if I could use the warranty to get a replacement once the upcoming updates are finished. It's from www.amazon.co.uk and it says that it comes with a warranty, but what would I have to do for Apple to give me a replacement? I don't mind keeping it unjailbroken until then.

Cheers,

nish123456

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

no upcoming hardware updates have been announced, unless you are meaning the 2.0 iphone/ipod touch software.

i think in the past if you have bought the hardware within x days of an update, then you can "upgrade" to the new hardware for the cost of a restocking fee.
    and you may even qualify for a free upgrade to the 2.0 sofware, instead of the $9.95 (or whatever) the charge is going to be for ipod touch users. i would contact apple about this as soon as the 2.0 software is released to find out if you are eligible.

however if you are asking about a potential hardware upgrade in the near future, and plan on having an "accident" with your ipod touch while it's still under warranty, (and therefore getting upgraded to the newer hardware under warranty,) then thats cheap :p

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, Apple replaces it with an iPod exactly the same as the defective unit, they have a large stockpile of older models (most likely all refurbs); you do not get the newer version of the iPod. Believe me, I've had to get two replacements from Apple, both after the new version of the respective models had been released, and I got a replacement unit exactly the same as the one I sent in.
    That scam won't work, they'll just end up with a "new" first generation iPod touch, without any of the hardware features that the second generation may introduce.

4. nish123456 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll do that.

Can't blame me for trying :D

Okay. :mad:

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

haha i think we have all thought about trying this with one product or another at times :)

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

hats off to ya for even thinkin such a barmy idea up lol

the ipod isn't getting a hardware update, its just the iphone thats getting updated internally. iPod will (as already stated) just get a software update