Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi all,

Thought you'd find this interesting, but with a BLE 4.0 dongle on my mid-2010 MBP, after I ran dokterdok's continuity tool, I had AirDrop working perfectly. No hardware hacks or changes to my wifi board.

Today, I received OSXWifi's BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX mini-PCIe board (meant for MacPro's) and with a mini-PCIe testing circuit board I bought which connects via USB, I plugged it all in and blamo - full Continuity working.

You can see in the pic the system model and OS version, BLE/Handoff/AirDrop/Hotspot enabled and the pref window in the background with the 'Handoff' checkbox option.

I have the 2012 wifi/ble chipset coming to ugprade properly, but I just couldn't let this just sit here. :)

Valiant try Apple, but I think they're gonna have to either open this puppy for general use or start selling dongle/kits because if they don't, someone else will.

Attachments

• IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 205

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi all,

Thought you'd find this interesting, but with a BLE 4.0 dongle on my mid-2010 MBP, after I ran dokterdok's continuity tool, I had AirDrop working perfectly. No hardware hacks or changes to my wifi board.

Today, I received OSXWifi's BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX mini-PCIe board (meant for MacPro's) and with a mini-PCIe testing circuit board I bought which connects via USB, I plugged it all in and blamo - full Continuity working.

You can see in the pic the system model and OS version, BLE/Handoff/AirDrop/Hotspot enabled and the pref window in the background with the 'Handoff' checkbox option.

I have the 2012 wifi/ble chipset coming to ugprade properly, but I just couldn't let this just sit here. :)

Valiant try Apple, but I think they're gonna have to either open this puppy for general use or start selling dongle/kits because if they don't, someone else will.

Nice man! I was just reading about putting in the BCM94360CSAX into my early-2013 rMBP to get 802.11ac so its nice to see more people who like to tinker :)

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Hi all,

Someone else will then. Either way, it's good to know that this can be worked around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.