iPhone X I've got issues :)

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
Hello everyone :D

I'm at a total loss and could use some advice. I have an iPhone X that I acquired on 1/9/19, as my old X stopped working.

It seems that something has gone awry. My battery (the over all battery health reads 100%) has been draining rather quickly for the last month or so, most likely since the last time the phone backed up, which was 1/25/19. I can't seem to get it to back up for the life of me.

I am current on all software updates.

All apps are up-to-date and I do not leave them running.

All my settings are set to save battery life.

The symptoms:

*Won't backup (even manually in the cloud)

*Very hot when being used/charging

*Battery won't charge past certain percentages like 82, 84, etc. even with a reboot, I can get the percentage up a little, once at 100%, but nonetheless, it drains within 3 hours and then charges very, very slowly.

I've tried every possible remedy I can find online: soft resets, reset "all" settings, draining and calibrating the battery, signing out of the cloud...

I see two restores in the backup section: 1/9/19 7.3 GB (this was done at the genius bar when I got the new phone) and 1/25/29 7.4 GB.

I have tried backing up to iTunes (I use PC) and it won't even allow me to do that :mad:

I fear losing all my photos, texts, etc. if I restore back to one of the backups as it was my son's birthday and there are many photos, as well, I am in litigation and need to keep all my data.

Is there anything you could think of that is causing my phone to act like such a creep?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to read this! :)

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
How did you set up this new iPhone X? Did you restore from a previous backup? Most likely explanation is that the backup was corrupt. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this would be restore as new without a backup, thus, losing all your data. Other than that, there really isn't much you can do.

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
Where did you "acquire" this iPhone X?
the apple store :eek:
[doublepost=1551816693][/doublepost]
How did you set up this new iPhone X? Did you restore from a previous backup? Most likely explanation is that the backup was corrupt. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this would be restore as new without a backup, thus, losing all your data. Other than that, there really isn't much you can do.
The "genius" set up the phone for me. I see that it was backed up on 1/9/19 when making the switch at Apple, but the only other backup since was on 1/25/19. If I delete the 1/25 backup, would I lose all my stuff from 1/9 until now? :(

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
the apple store :eek:
[doublepost=1551816693][/doublepost]

The "genius" set up the phone for me. I see that it was backed up on 1/9/19 when making the switch at Apple, but the only other backup since was on 1/25/19. If I delete the 1/25 backup, would I lose all my stuff from 1/9 until now? :(
If you delete your backup from 1/25, you will lose anything from 1/9 until now. But deleting a backup is not going to solve your issue.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Is there any other way to backup my phone so I don't lose everything?
Backing up your phone is still not going to solve your issues. What you can do is transfer photos over to your computer, either using Photos or Image Capture (if you have a Mac). That way those are saved. There are other ways to preserve data than using a backup. Many apps have their own cloud syncing services, or have built-in iCloud syncing. That way your data will be returned.

Ultimately, you need to restore your phone as new without a backup. It is a pain, but your phone will get back to a healthy state.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Google Photos is another option. Personally, I keep my photos backed up in several places because I've already had the unfortunate experience of losing years worth of memories. Never again.

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
You said the backup was over 7gb, are you paying for more storage to give you over 5gb?
Yes, unfortunately, I am not too tech savvy and have the plan with the most storage allowed :confused:
[doublepost=1551818319][/doublepost]
Backing up your phone is still not going to solve your issues. What you can do is transfer photos over to your computer, either using Photos or Image Capture (if you have a Mac). That way those are saved. There are other ways to preserve data than using a backup. Many apps have their own cloud syncing services, or have built-in iCloud syncing. That way your data will be returned.

Ultimately, you need to restore your phone as new without a backup. It is a pain, but your phone will get back to a healthy state.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I think I need to find a service to do this for me, I will surely mess it up!
[doublepost=1551818388][/doublepost]
Google Photos is another option. Personally, I keep my photos backed up in several places because I've already had the unfortunate experience of losing years worth of memories. Never again.
OMG that would be catastrophic! I am so sorry that happened to you. My phone says I have like 24,000 photos - is it still possible to do this on google photos?
[doublepost=1551818451][/doublepost]
Backup to your iTunes on computer.
Oddly, I try that and it won't recognize my device on itunes - any idea why? I use windows.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
When backing up, make sure that you unlock your phone after connecting USB for the iTunes to connect to your phone.

ivanwi11iams

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
Somewhere on Earth
Since you have access to the phone, can you email said photos of your sons party to yourself?
Then, perhaps reset the device to factory, and then setup as NEW (not with a restore).

Use it for a day or two, and see if it charges properly etcetera. Failing that, I would suggest conversing with Apple support (again).

Merely my opinion.

Disclaimer: I have not read all the responses.

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
When backing up, make sure that you unlock your phone after connecting USB for the iTunes to connect to your phone.
I will try that, thank you!
[doublepost=1551819558][/doublepost]
Since you have access to the phone, can you email said photos of your sons party to yourself?
Then, perhaps reset the device to factory, and then setup as NEW (not with a restore).

Use it for a day or two, and see if it charges properly etcetera. Failing that, I would suggest conversing with Apple support (again).

Merely my opinion.

Disclaimer: I have not read all the responses.
Good idea on the photos, but I also worry about the texts, etc. due to being in litigation.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
OMG that would be catastrophic! I am so sorry that happened to you. My phone says I have like 24,000 photos - is it still possible to do this on google photos?
I can't say for sure as I don't have near that many photos so I've no idea if they have a storage cap on their free offering.

Also, I saw you mentioned your concern over losing your texts. Messages in the cloud is a fairly new feature and is enabled through Settings in the iCloud section. You can completely wipe your phone and set up as new and when you enable that in Settings again all of your messages should return. I may be mistaken but if you haven't had this enabled up through now, only the messages sent/received after enabling would be backed up.

Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Go to settings and at the top of the menu tap on your name then iCloud and see what you have saved on the cloud. If you have photos, mail, contacts, messages ,ect. all those will return to your phone when you sign into iCloud with your Apple ID after restoring your phone as new using iTunes. You may have to put your phone into DFU mode if it’s not recognized by iTunes. What version of macOS are you running on your desktop/laptop?

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
Go to settings and at the top of the menu tap on your name then iCloud and see what you have saved on the cloud. If you have photos, mail, contacts, messages ,ect. all those will return to your phone when you sign into iCloud with your Apple ID after restoring your phone as new using iTunes. You may have to put your phone into DFU mode if it’s not recognized by iTunes. What version of macOS are you running on your desktop/laptop?
I switched it to include messages the other day, but prior to that...

I use Windows 10 on a Microsoft Surface laptop. How can I get it to recognize my phone?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I switched it to include messages the other day, but prior to that...

I use Windows 10 on a Microsoft Surface laptop. How can I get it to recognize my phone?
What version of iTunes are you using? Don’t ask me how to find out, I haven’t used a pc since 2005. Latest version is 12.8.2.3

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
When you plug your phone into the pc did you ever get a popup asking you to trust the device?
No. It asks what it wants to do with the device and asks if I will allow photo access, but nothing from itunes. I go in itunes and try to back up and the area is grayed out so I can't click it.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
No. It asks what it wants to do with the device and asks if I will allow photo access, but nothing from itunes. I go in itunes and try to back up and the area is grayed out so I can't click it.
Ok, so iTunes acknowledges that the iPhone is connected, you just can’t backup.. Seems your only option is to restore the phone. If you click on the tab that says restore iPhone will it let you? Remember, the phone needs to be unlocked when your trying to connect to iTunes

banksmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Southern California
Ok, so iTunes acknowledges that the iPhone is connected, you just can’t backup.. Seems your only option is to restore the phone. If you click on the tab that says restore iPhone will it let you? Remember, the phone needs to be unlocked when your trying to connect to iTunes
"itunes is waiting for windows update to install the driver for this iphone" but there are no updates?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
"itunes is waiting for windows update to install the driver for this iphone" but there are no updates?
You might have to figure out what’s going on with windows before you can use iTunes. Does windows have any type of technical support for customers?