I've got the idea, I need the developer

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Simgar988, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

If someone was to come up with excellent iphone app concept, but didn't have the ability to develop it, what is the best thing to do? Is it logical to hire an artist and a dev and present the idea and have a certain amount of direction and leadership in the project?
    Should there be percentage ownership of the app, or should I pay hourly?

Just looking for ideas and input, thank!

2. namanhams macrumors regular

In my opinion, you should hire an artist and a developer, both are available here :

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/by-job/iPhone.html

You can let them bid for the whole project. Share ownership of the app is attractive to the bidder, although i think it's not necessary.

I'm an iPhone freelancer there and i can tell you that many people like you do so and really succeed.

3. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

um, what's the deal with that site anyway? I've come across it before but I had a look again there now.

Most projects are not very well described, you couldn't possibly even guess the time required. I didn't see one actual specification being available.
    Other may have some form of description but 'bids' of a couple of hundred and will be done yesterday.

It doesn't look like a setup for a successful business relationship imo...

Or have anyone used it and have a different opinion?

4. namanhams macrumors regular

Yes i have been a freelancer there and done quite a few projects there and all are successful. Normally the employer doesn't put the details there, and only shares it via Private Message with someone they trust.

You can adjust your estimation of time and amount of money after you know the detail of the project. But it's not big issue actually, since you can always discuss with the employer and extend the deadline.

I really have long relationship with some employers there.

5. namanhams macrumors regular

Hi i replied to your PM, but the system says that your inbox has been exceeded and you need to free it up.

6. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

Ok, so the projects aren't actually going at the rate they are bid? Is it a good place to pick up extra work though, is it worth it? You have been successful doing it but is that through certain employers or an overall experience?

I'm just a small bit concerned when dealing with people that may have little or no insight to a development life cycle.

7. namanhams macrumors regular

For me, it's valuable since i have more cash and also i gain more experience.
    I have good experience with this site in general.
    If you are looking for Freelancer, you can look at their past reviews first, and only choose them if you are satisfied with their past reviews. Freelancers with all positive reviews are good in general. That's so many employers choose them and give them good rating.

Hope that helps.

8. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

mmm, I may have a look. See if it's something worth doing.

Are there things to look out for? Any tips for someone new to the site?

9. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Is it more difficult to find a dev able to design a game?

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

draw up a NDA before releasing details to anyone

11. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

What is the best way to do this for a dev relationship like I am wishing to establish? How have people on here done it before?

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

talk to an intellectual property lawyer ... then people you show the idea to cannot steal it since they signed your NDA

13. mistergreen2011 macrumors member

Keep in mind games are very time consuming and expensive to make. It's best to deal with an established iphone gaming company. There are nightmare stories of unprofessional people out there.