I've gotten so used to my jailbroken iPod...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Jan 6, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've gotten so used to my jailbroken iPod that I don't think I could go back to the factory defaults. I sure hope that this 1.1.3 update doesn't completely kill hacking the iPod touch because it would suck not to have Mail and Notes... I would miss those the most.

I noticed that MOST 3rd party Apps so far pretty much suck. They're either really buggy and crash or freeze a lot, or they're poorly designed and look like crap. I hope that when the SDK comes out in February, Apple will release some AWESOME Apps that can really bring this device to life without having to deal with the crashes and messiness of hacking.

What do you all think?

If Apple just gave us iPod touch owners Mail, Notes, Maps and Weather, I don't think I would jailbreak my iPod... seriously... if I only had those, I'd be content.... I just cannot afford an iPhone and pay that much a month to use a cell phone (I pretty much hate phones in the first place).

I wish I could un-jailbreak my iPod but, then it would just be an iPod with Safari, when it could be a whole lot more... and that would bother me.

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

If you're happy with the current set up, just don't upgrade. You dont HAVE to.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You could always wait until the hackers jailbreak 1.1.3, its bound to happen...

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well, hopefully 1.1.3 is the update that gets everyone ready for the 3rd party SDK in February. I really hope that it's open to really GOOD developers so that everyone's not installing sucky buggy Apps or malicious Apps. Imagine if someone developed an App that kept track of your bank information and passwords and that App was maliciously designed to send that private information to someone's server who could use it to steal your identity... that would suck. I bet Apple is going to do something similar to what they did for iPod Classic games... where they only let certain developers write the games for it... to me, that kind of thing would be better because we'd get more quality and no crap.... plus, we'd have support from Apple because currently Apple will not support any 3rd party installed Apps.

5. Oh My Chester macrumors newbie

if they have a comic viewer then id be cool with it, since thats one of the best apps i have on my ipod:p

6. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

ok i maybe reading it wrong as im tired and cant sleep so i apologize now :eek: but u have a comic reader on your ipod touch? where u get that from and where u get the comics from?

7. aki macrumors 6502a

Yeah there are two, iComic and some other one I forget the name, use the search and you should be able to find them.

I have to say both the comic apps are only so-so for me.

In general though I am very impressed with the quality of the apps people make for the touch, I really hope the SDK improves the quality of these apps and doesn't just kill them... (when "real" apps start being sold I mean)

1.1.3 would have to be really great for me to install it. Eg. proper lyrics support maybe. Otherwise who cares, I cant live without gba/psx/to-do/eBooks etc etc etc

8. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

Sweet... im gonna look for it and install it on my ipod. But where do i find the comics on to download to my ipod and also how do i get them over to my ipod?

Thanks

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I don't have a touch, so I can't say exactly how to get the comics over (the apps have directions, I'm pretty sure though). As for your other question, we probably can't answer it on the forum as it's a process very similar to downloading music and TV shows from places other than iTMS, if you catch my meaning.

The files are zips or rars with a collection of jpeg images in them and then (usually) renamed to whatever.CBR or .CBZ (that's "comic book RAR" and "comic book ZIP"). People buy the issues, scan them, then share them online. There's several places you can get them from, but you'll have to google on your own to find out exactly where.

Hope that helps!

10. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I thought you already got your iPod? I must just be mistaken, unless it's because you returned it. :(

I have just been using PDF Viewer for comics for the longest time (It doesn't crash for me). It was awkward at first, since it is all down scrolling instead of side scrolling, but I got used to it. I haven't used it for a while (no new comics, meh), so I might as well check out the two new ones. Do they accept .pdf files? If not, not that big of a deal.

11. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

The apps have to be signed by Apple before the are released no? Surely that would weed out the malicious and crap apps.
    Im waiting for the Oktoprep 1.1.3 anywhos ;)

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've never had a touch. Been looking at getting one for a bit now, but still using my 5G. :)

I don't know if the other comic readers support PDFs, I'm guessing not, but in any case MOST of the comics available online aren't in PDF format... they're in CBR files, which are, as I said, JPEGs inside of a RAR compressed file.

13. kovy17 macrumors member

is apple gonna charge alot for apps or is it free. If they do end up charging i am sure there will be bunches of free downloads of the apps of other sites

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

First of all, your grammar is really bad and so is your spelling. Second, you can't ask if Apple is going to charge or offer their apps for free because there has been no news or announcements explaining exactly how they're going to go about releasing any of these native apps. Third, you're talking about stealing and that's not welcome here on MacRumors.

15. ridli macrumors newbie

Does anyone really think 1.1.3 will come alongside an SDK release?

I figured that actual installable apps would merit a major revision (1.2).