I've gotten the GSOD about 10x this week in Snow Leopard..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maclook, Dec 5, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

This is probably the first time I've ever had a consistent issue with OSX but lately, my computer has suffered the GSOD at least once every day for the past week. Now whenever I am using VMware (3.0), I feel the uneasiness that at any point in time I'll get the GSOD. I'm not a programmer so I can't understand the reports and what exactly is causing it.

Does Apple respond seriously to GSOD reports? I send in every report after my system crashes so I really do hope that they are prioritizing these issues.

Also, I feel that I am pushing my 2.0ghz C2D Macbook to it's limits but I always thought that my computer would know it's limitations and simply run slower when I am running CPU intensive ops. But looking at the patterns of my GSODs (not the code or reports since I don't understand them), I have experienced them when playing Flash video or running VMware which seem to overwhelm the system to the point where it locks up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Do the ususal stuff...

Zap PRAM, repair disk permissions, run the Apple Hardware Test CD, and DiskWarrior if you have it, or Tech Tool Pro.

If that doesn't solve your problem or illuminate it, then I'll be surprised.

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

What hardware/peripherals have you got connected?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I'm not a programmer either, but that isn't required to get the gist of the logs. Post them, and remember to use the
    Code:
     tags. We'll help you with what is causing them. It's a lot more useful than the "Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning" solution of dumping PRAM and repairing permissions.

5. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I reset the PRAM and repaired my disk permissions. My computer has skipped a couple times, causing my heart to drop, but no GSOD yet today. I will copy the log if it happens again and post it

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, USB drive connected usually

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

youre talking about a kernel panic right? grey curtain with diff languages?

you shouldnt just ignore these if you get them regurlary and hope that they disappear. it could be a major hardware fault and you would have to get yoru Mac fixed at a price if not under warranty, or its just a simple software fix.

if could be a kext problem linking to either a hardware or software problem, look at what is listed underneath "kernel dependencies" in panic.log which you can find it Console.