I've had all I can stands, and I can't stands no more...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beansy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. beansy macrumors newbie

I've got a month and a half left on my Sprint contract with my PPC 6700. I'm sick of the phone and it's numerous problems, but that's not my biggest complaint. My company recently built a new building out in the middle of nowhere. I've gone from a downtown environment with plenty of coverage, to the middle of what used to be a cornfield. The worst part is the building itself. It's a disaster recovery site, built to withstand an F4 tornado. This means that it's comprised almost entirely of concrete and steel. It's like working in a bunker. We had to have repeaters put in just to get any signal at all while in the building. Hilariously, the repeaters they installed are for Verizon and AT&T/Cingular. Not Sprint. That's fine really, as the plan is to switch and get an iPhone anyway. I have a signal, but I'm roaming. Constantly. My question is this: if I go ahead and purchase an iPhone and activate it with a new number from AT&T, will I have a problem forwarding all calls from my current phone number with Sprint to the iPhone? Also, once the Sprint contract is up, will it be possible to get rid of the new number I'd receive when activating the iPhone, and replace it with the number I want to keep from Sprint? I'm hoping someone around here has had to do this or something similar in the past. I realize I could just sack up and take the 175 dollar kick in the nads that is the early cancellation fee, but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks in advance.

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

To the $175 cancellation fee doesn't sprint pro-rate this fee?
    With only a month and half left on the contract I would think that the fee is small.
    As for the port question I will have to leave that one for someone else.

3. beansy thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the cancellation fee was $175 no matter if you canceled 6 mo. or 6 days before the end of your contract. It would be great if you're right. I'll have to ask that question of the Sprint people.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My 287 number used to be on Sprint until I got married and switched to AT&T because my wife was already on it (and had a killer discount). No problems with switching the number. You just have to let them know you want to keep your current number. It may take up to 24 hours (I think) to kick in though.

5. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

Yup, just keep paying your Sprint bill, have AT&T switch your current # to your new phone.

6. beansy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just talked to Sprint, and the early termination fee is $150. However, if I switch with 30 days or less to go on the contract, I will not be billed for early termination. Don't know if this applies to any other carriers, but for future reference for all those trying to switch from Sprint, you'll need to wait until 30 days or less from the end of your contract to avoid the above fee. This is a huge relief for me, as it means I only have to wait two weeks! With any luck the SDK will be out and there'll be apps aplenty.

7. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

If you are within thirty days of the end you can cancel it with no ETF. Call and be nice to the Sprint people. I actually canceled my contract on Xmas day to activate my new iPhone. I was orginally told via email that I was in the range to cancel with no fee. I got a bill this month with the ETF. I call and said wait I thought I was told no fee. I was nice as pie and they transfered me to I think the cancelation department. The girl said oh, your email was on 01/03/08 and at that time you would have been okay. I asked well when would I have been okay to cancel with out a fee. 12/28/07. UGHHH I said come on three days, I have been a customer for 4 years no issues. She said okay we can wave it. Of course she asked "why" and I said "because I got the iPhone for xmas" she said "well why not our model". I said "well I am an Apple guy" (not really yet but sounded good) She said " we hear that alot". So long story short (to late) call Sprint if you are close 30 days give or take from the end and you should be able to sweet talk them out of the ETF.

Just my experience and I am sure others will differ as it really depends on the operator you get.

8. beansy thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Sprint again to talk to another of their operators just to make sure that their stories lined up. Surprise surprise, two different operators, two different stories. The second person I talked to said that the 30 day thing only applies to the beginning of a contract or the addition of a new line. Wonderful. I'm going to call back and see how many different operators give me different answers on this. You gotta love call centers...

9. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

Just cancle it and switch to AT&T. Nice and simple.

10. beansy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really, as the idea here is to attempt to avoid the ETF. Thanks for playing though.

11. pythonito macrumors newbie

Vacation (5.95)

If you don't care about taking your number you can put the sprint phone on vacation (up to six months) at 5.95 a month.

12. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

Try working this backwards. Go talk to the AT&T people, tell them what your trying to do. maybe they can give you a tempoary # and transfer your old number to your iphone at a later date. Still have to pay your regular Sprint bill and start paying AT&T but that should be cheaper then the other fee.

13. beansy thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this a joke? Does not sound legit at all. Anyone know if this guy is just messing with me?

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah, doesn't hurt to ask.

However I believe iPhone activation, when it involves a phone number port, will require you to do it through iTunes, which means you have to transfer the number when you sign up.