I've had it for 4-5 months now and I barely use it...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by amirite, Sep 13, 2015.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

Sigh. I barely use any Apple Watch apps anymore, and I hardly look at the thing for more than ten seconds.

...and I love it that way! Phone notifications used to take me out of the real world and distract me for 5-10 minutes. Now I glance at my wrist for a few seconds and I'm done. This device seems to be made to be used as little as possible.

Complications are where it's at, and third party complications are going to be a bigger deal than native apps IMO.

The only problem is the limited space. I wish there were a way to set complications to change based on time of the day, etc. E.g., sunset within an hour? Display the sunset complication. Markets open? Display stock complication. Market closes? Switch it to something else, and so on. I can imagine this would be a complex mess though, so it's not very Apple-like and probably won't happen.

Thoughts on this? And does anyone else feel the same?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Proactive features could help solve some of these in the future.

3. DoctorFedora macrumors regular

Yeah, when people ask about mine, I tend to tell them that one of the best things about it is how little I use it (at least in the "actively" sense).

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I now change my "complications set" by switching watch faces. Doesn't happen much, and I've pared down the faces to maybe five (same with Glances).

Basically, if I'm expecting to time things, I have the chronometer face with all the timers in each corner; my usual face is Simple with weather, activity, date, and timer; my "weekend" face is Simple with just the hands and a date.

But yeah, I'm using mine in very short moments, too. The longest I ever look at it is while browsing the news first thing in the morning on the john. ;)

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Yes, I agree and do the same. So when I need a timer, I switch to that pre-configured watch face. But I do agree with the above poster regarding the need for Proactive Complications. It seems like such a logical use for the watch that it is hard to imagine that Apple is not working on this feature for a future release.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I would love that ability as well. You nailed it with the way the watch is meant to be used. In fact, I rarely touch the watch screen except for workouts and I know have Siri start the workout. My guess is 90-95% of my watch activity beyond the time and complications is Siri. My iPhone still gets plenty of use but far less random checking and responding to notifications that are worthless.

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I think it'd be enough to have "location aware" complications.

But then, if I want to do work-related stuff at home and it's not part of my normal routine, I'd have to switch back from the auto-selected "home" complications to "work", etc.

I dunno, it might start making complications complicated. ;)