Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pat H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Well I've finally had it with Adobe CS3. I have the Production Premium Suite, and frankly After Effects and Photoshop work well. But Premiere and Encore (for DVD) are a nightmare. I was working with someone tonight on a project, and Premiere crashed no fewer than 20 times in a 4 hour span. When it didn't crash, the timeline would get scrambled with ghosted artifacts to the point where I couldn't tell if things were aligned anymore (ie: the OSx dock would become imprinted at the bottom of the program window and I would have to restart). Also, the timeline would refuse to render certain clips, and I would have to move them and then move them back to "activate them". I know some of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, and that's because good editing software isn't supposed to have these problems. But yet Premier CS3 does.

And then, when I try to burn my final DVD with Encore, I get more software crashes, and occasionally cruddy video output when the settings are all on high. (I'm importing lossless video files too, so it's not my compression). Also, Encore has been putting out more and more coasters lately, but my DVD burner works fine with other software.

I would really appreciate advice on what to do at this point. Please don't tell me I should have gotten FCP, because I fully intended to, but also wanted Photoshop, so CS3 was the better deal because of the bundle.

There will be no further updates released to CS3, because CS4 is here. However, I don't see why I should need to buy CS4 to fix CS3. Upgrades should be for features, not to correct inherent software flaws!

Does anyone think I can get adobe to do something if I give them hell on the phone? All this software wasn't cheap and I feel cheated. :mad:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hmmm are you running the least updates in either CS3 and OSX, or both??

Nah, in the past Adobe kept updating it's former version. Usually with maintenance updates, patching problems they've discovered. Kinda expected by commercial clients. Just because they release newer versions, doesn't automatically make the old one extinct. It should be supported for another couple of years.

Mine's been fine, it's fairly stable!

Pat H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hmmm are you running the least updates in either CS3 and OSX, or both??

Nah, in the past Adobe kept updating it's former version. Usually
with maintenance updates, patching problems they've discovered.
Kinda expected by commercial clients.

Mine's been fine, it's fairly stable!

I really don't understand it. I have an 8-core mac pro with 10 gigs of Ram, and yet Premiere has given me nothing but trouble. Even simple things like dragging a JPEG onto the timeiline will crash it.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I really don't understand it. I have an 8-core mac pro with 10 gigs of Ram, and yet Premiere has given me nothing but trouble. Even simple things like dragging a JPEG onto the timeiline will crash it.

Applications crashes could be cause my various things, those include faults on your HD (bad sectors), bad memory, corrupted application files cause by patching. Even corrupted preferences can cause the application to be less stable.

Did it used to crash prior to patching the application with updates? If it's more stable before. What you can try doing is doing a repair.. maybe one of the update patched upset something? Repairs can be done by reinserting the DVD, click on install and the repair screen should appear.

You can also seek professional help and advice from the Adobe community.

Pat H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Applications crashes could be cause my various things, those include faults on your HD (bad sectors), bad memory, corrupted application files cause by patching. Even corrupted preferences can cause the application to be less stable.

Did it used to crash prior to patching the application with updates? If it's more stable before. What you can try doing is doing a repair.. maybe one of the update patched upset something? Repairs can be done by reinserting the DVD, click on install and the repair screen should appear.

You can also seek professional help and advice from the Adobe community.

I'll try a repair. Maybe that might help. But I remember it being pretty bad before too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.