I've had it with GoDaddy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unibody5, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Unibody5 macrumors member

You have to swim through ads and services just to register a name, their control panel is slow and bloated, and they actually CHARGE for private Whois. I've switched to Name dot com and find everything a lot easier to deal with. I wish I could transfer all my GoDaddy domains over to Name but they charge for that :(

What have your experiences with GoDaddy been like?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing but positive experiences for me. I've been using godaddy for years and never had any real problems. The screens of services being offered when registering never bothered me, heck I barely notice them. As for private registrations most charge for that. You found one that doesn't which is great but all in all I'm pleased with godaddy.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I did not enjoy my time with GoDaddy. I, too, was annoyed by all the extras they try to sell you when you try to renew or purchase anything, as well as the extra charge for domain registration privacy. I recently switched to a smaller hosting company (Little Oak) and now pay less (domain registration privacy is automatically included for free with them) for everything and support is much more responsive and personalized.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Any company that has wonderful saucy ads like godaddy has to suck.

My family has had positive experiences (I think) with 1&1...

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've been very satisfied with iPowerWeb as a hosting service.

6. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I've been a GoDaddy customer since 1999 when all they sold was software (Web Site Complete) before they even became a registrar. Never had any problems.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got the hell away from GoDaddy after I was with them for a few years and they kept spamming me with all of their emails even though I had unsubscribed from anything. I transferred all my domains to Name Cheap, changed the email address on my GoDaddy account to some bogus address and haven't heard from them again. NameCheap is great. They don't have free private whois either but it's only a few dollars.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I use GoDaddy and like them fine. I found their web hosting to be cheap for my needs.

The only times I go to the site is to check my monthly statements but know where everything is I need to click and just ignore everything else. Everything is set on automatic renewal so I don't get bombarded with upgrade ads.

As for e-mail ads from them. I gave them my junk account like every other company. The only time I look at that account is when I expect something. In which case I only have to look at the top two or three e-mails.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Their website is obnoxious, as are their television ads. But I've never had a problem with their service itself, and their customer service has been great. I just SSH into my virtual servers, so I don't really have to spend much time on their web site, fortunately.

10. jk111 macrumors regular

I agree with yoyo, I've had positive experiences with 1and1 as well.

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+1

Those guys are the best.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm with ASO (A Small Orange), and they've been great to me.

Don