I've had it with my MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessica Lares, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So, I've posted about this before, but it just happened again and I'm wondering what the heck is up!

My MacBook Pro LOVES to shock me! I'll have my hand next to the trackpad on the right, and it'll give my hand a really horrible static feeling every once in awhile. Kinda like when you're outside and touch someone and they go OW because of the shock coming from your hand. This is so much worse though.

And just now, I was using my external hard drive, which never has any issues, and I ejected it. As I pulled it out, not only did the screen start flickering, but this huge shock just went through my hand. Now I feel nauseous and in pain.

I'm definitely going to ditch this machine, but I wonder what exactly could be wrong with it in the first place? This is the only computer I've EVER had this problem with.

It's a late 2006 model.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

you are wearing synthetic materials on your body.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

As stated it may the material you wear or somehow you are not grounding yourself (hard to explain). If it isn't, then it could signify a major electrical problem with the system but it may not be likely if the machine is functioning normally. Does anyone else ever use your system and have the same issue? Do you have carpet or hardwood flooring?

Have you ever tried the 'static free' hand lotion? It works quite well with the MBP in my experience. One of the downsides of the more durable aluminum case is that it can shock you easier than a computer with a plastic case (which still can shock you).

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Use the 3 Prong (grounded) cord rather than the 2 prong duck head.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I grinded mine down :p

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does it only happen when plugged in?

Are you using a three prong plug to a grounded outlet?

Does it happen with other outlets or in other buildings?

8. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have carpet, and it's been happening with two different power adapters, and different outlets. I don't take it anywhere anymore.

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

When your feet slide on the carpet, your body builds up static electricity. I know this because I have carpet in my room. Whenever I am wearing shoes that conduct static from the carpet (or no shoes even) and I touch something dry, the static will sometimes discharge and create a shock. This especially happens when I slide my feet across the carpet and then I pet one of our cats. The electricity then discharges and shocks the cat! I know this for a fact. It is probably the static you are picking up on your carpet and then discharging when you touch something dry. This can happen if you are wearing moccasins and sliding around on the carpet. It is less likely to happen if you wear tennis shoes with rubber soles, because the rubber soles dissipate the static electricity.

Hope this helps,
    Ward

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

ground yourself and the mac.

also backup your files because the shock could effect your hdd.

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This.

Also, it gets worse when it's dry. You might notice that this issue you're having gets worse during the winter months when the air is really dry. I always zap myself when I first touch my iMac's keyboard which is also aluminum.

On carpet I find that being barefoot (no socks or any footwear) helps a bit but doesn't necessarily eliminate it.

12. aCondor macrumors 6502

It is generally not a smart idea to use your laptop while in a bathtub or while taking a shower. This will stop your problem.

13. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm not THAT stupid, LOL!

But thanks for the tips guys. I think I'm just not going to use it for awhile.

14. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i know what you mean...

i know exactly what you mean i can be typing and if i touch either bottom right of bottom left under the speakers then i get like a small tingling...

i finally figured out that it was the external dvd drive i was using to burn DL discs as my drive has given up on them causing it - as soon as its unplugged then pow no more tingling...

might be worth looking into...

Vinda

15. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I get a heavy shock too when using it taking a shower :)