I've had it with this MBP, need advice about what I can do with it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoodtobetheKing, Oct 6, 2010.

1. GoodtobetheKing macrumors member

So about 5 years ago, I made the switch to macs and I bought an iMac G5 and a couple years later, a MBP 15". I loved my iMac (I lost it in a fire), but my MBP.....not so much. It's been my main computer for a couple years now and I have had nothing but trouble with it. I've had it replaced a number of times and I'm currently on MBP #3.

Here's a list of problems that I've had:

Macbook Pro #1 (2007 MBP)
    1) The fans were excessively loud.
    2) The bottom of the machine warped itself so badly that I had to get it replaced.

Macbook Pro #2 (2007 MBP)
    1) Again the fans were excessively loud and annoying and I had them replaced
    2) The battery had a premature death and I had to get it replaced
    3) The screen had a dead pixel on it
    4) The left side of the screen had 3 lines that were dead
    5) iTunes constantly causes my machine to crash
    6) The machine when waking from sleep will be dull in color and everything is in a light grey tint
    7) I've had the power cord replaced
    8) The Keyboard and Mouse would occasionally be unresponsive and not be recognized by the computer
    9) The computer's keyboard and mouse eventually became permanently unresponsive

Macbook Pro #3 (Late 2008 MBP)
    1) Hard drive failed on me when I was writing a couple papers for grad school. I had older copies backed up on an online server but since I only backup once a week I had to start all over.
    2) Battery was replaced
    3) Dead pixel on the left side of the screen
    4) And now the battery needs to be replaced again

I'm not working this machine to the point of exhaustion...the only things that I'm doing with it are surfing the web, iLife, using it for work and school, and that's really about it.

Apple has been really great about it. They've replaced my computer 2 times but honestly...enough is enough. I'm tired of having to go to Apple over and over again. I'm basically nickel and diming this computer and it's way past the point of redundancy.

I don't know much about selling computers. I'm hesitant to buy a new computer, especially after my experience with this one. If anything I'd buy a new iMac but I'd like some input or ideas on what I could/should do with this machine.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Apple doesn't let you "trade in" computers.

Truthfully I'm very surprised they replaced your machine twice already. Some of the things on your list are nitpicky IMO.

Try having three logic boards, three displays, every piece of the machine you can see and touch replaced, etc. and then you will see what a real pile of crap is.

3. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

Allow me to clarify, when I said trade in, I meant sell.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

Well then I don't know; the dead pixel you should've caught out of the box, batteries are wear items and it depends how well you take care of them and they are user replaceable so no biggie, so the only real issue I'm seeing here is the hard drive failure (should be backing up with time machine though). Given the pain in the ass my late-08 unibody has been, I can't sympathize too much.

5. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

The dead pixel wasn't there out of the box.

The battery is not even a year old, and only has 84 charges on it.

Like I said, I backup once a week.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm looking for ideas on what I should do about this machine. I've never sold computers online, so I'm not sure what avenue would be best to go through or if selling would be the best option. Just looking for some ideas on what I could/should with it.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

I would take it to Apple and see what they think.