I've had it!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajones46, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ajones46 macrumors 6502

I'm switching! It's a week and a half before finals and my HP laptop just decides to take a crap. I boot it up and I get a message "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND". Cool, right? Power off/on repeat multiple times until it finally starts up correctly and I get another message "PLEASE SELECT WHICH OPERATING SYSTEM YOU'D LIKE TO RUN"... I have only one (vista) installed. It runs long enough for me to back up all my iTunes music, movies and photos to an external drive and it freezes. For the past day and a half it's been unconscious so with Christmas coming up, I've decided to treat myself to my first shiny mac.

I'm not sure which macbook would really suit me best and this is where I'm hoping you guys can come in. I really only need it for the basic things, web browing, iTunes, word processing for my English class, but that's about it. The only intensive thing I'd use it for is ripping DVD's to my touch. I'm not sure if the Air can handle it too well using the external superdrive? I don't mind refurbs either, the previous macbook refurbished at $749 is looking like my best bet right now. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I'd agree with the previous poster. A MacBook would be just fine for you. Aple has them from $749 to $990!

4. dndbrown macrumors newbie

Check Microcenter

You may want to check Microcenter in Madison Heights (14mile right off of 75). I see that you are from the Detroit area. They are selling the white 13" Macbook where you can get a $200 rebate (in the form of a Visa gift card). You could use it to buy more memory and a bigger hard drive.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

6. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Make sure you check ebay to, I got the same macbook as the refurb for $700 used and it looks and works as if it were brand new.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Unless you have a compelling reason for the uber-light (and pricier) air, stick with the basic macbook. The base model is great for your needs and you can pick up a refurb for a darn good price.

8. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Another vote for a refurb...

and do buy apple care within the first year...it will be worth it unless you have loads of money to afford apple repairs...

9. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great tip. Also, thanks for everyone's help.

10. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'd advise getting a 13" MBP - you do get advantages having an aluminum body - longer lasting, generally holds up better than the poly (although the poly's generally better than most stuff you'll find on PCs.)

You can still get refurb MBP's, and you might be able to grab an edu discount off the Apple website (or if you have an Apple store in the area.)

11. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Yeah, I'd say that the 13" Macbook meets your needs, but if you have the money get the 13" MBP base model. I think it's worth the extra coin, even if you don't need the specs.

12. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I bought one of the 2.13 MacBook refurbs for $749 in late summer. Love it. Not as light as my netbook of course, but small and light enough to be readily portable and plenty powerful enough for all the common tasks and more.

Good value for money when you can get one - they're not coming up as often as they used to!

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Let me be the first to tell you "it's about time!!!" and you made a great choice to come away from the Dark Side!!:D

I also thing the refub sounds awesome for what you want to do. It is a great machine and will do all you want it to do and then some.

As far as Apple Care- I say it depends on how mobile your computer will be. Mine- I keep mine in a side table drawer or on my Logitech comfort lapdesk and carry it with me only a few times a year. So for me it really probably doesn't make much sense to buy the extended warranty. I rarely let my wife even touch my MBP!!:D Of course she is very neglectful with her MacBook from her work leaving it overhanging on the corners of tables, ottoman with small children in the house, etc . That being said her MacBook has held up great- so again- I suggest the MacBook.

I have to say it is classic that it asked you what OS you wanted to run....was OSX an option?:D

Again- WELCOME AND ENJOY your soon to be best friend!!! :apple:

14. jeffspc88mx macrumors newbie

...no matter what you get, back up your data regularly using Backup and/or Time Machine. A me.com account is one way that makes it easy, but there are myriad other ways to do it.

The main point here is: Mac hard drives fail too.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Youll love the macbook I'm sure.

I too switched from windows. I work in IT and fix windows computers and windows servers and windows is an OS that just isnt reliable. Its not capable of doing what I need it to do.

I was scared when I switched but after I did I loved computers again and was able to do much more on mac then I ever could on windows. I loved the switch so much I bought my family macs so I didn't have to mess with their windows machines anymore.

16. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know lol. I was like, "uh... How about we run the only frickin one I have?"

I think I'm going to go for the 13" mbp. The lack of an SD slot on the mb kills it for me. Plus the refurb'd pro is the same price as the new unibody mb. Winner winner chicken dinner.

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with the MBP choice- they are great computers- the backlit keyboard rocks (does the new MB's have that?)

You really rely on the SD slot that much? I never remove any memory cards from my cameras- I just use the cord each time myself. Actually hate dealing with memory cards.

18. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, the new MB's don't have a backlit keyboard. And the SD card slot is just a convenience thing... I don't wanna mess around with cords. That's kind of why I want an air is the whole convenience thing because it is so small and light, but then a major INconvenience with the lack of a dvd drive, 1 usb, no SD... arg! Make a mbp the size of an air and the whole world'll be happy.

19. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

If you use the laptop in front of the tv or darker rooms you will love the backlit keyboard. I agree on cords- I don't upload pics too often. I probably should sync my Touch more but I hate cords too and lucily can update my iCal through the web when I need to.

20. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Refurb MacBook Pro 13" or 15" (Silver aluminum) would be the best in my opinion. You would miss the awesome design of it if you didn't get it. Also as FlyFish said, the backlit keyboard is amazing. :)

(I don't know why my MacBook Pro 15" is lighter than my MacBook (White-2007 generation) for some reason. :\)

21. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    I agree. Go for the 13" MBP. Why? You're a college student. Your going to have to take this to class, back, move it around etc. You're going to want a nice, strong Aluminum body. After 2+ years with my White Plastic Macbook (I got it September 2007), while everything else is great, structurally, it's had better days. One must understand that I treat my MB very well, but these things happen easily. On the bottom case, cracks are now just starting to appear after. Something I'm also really concerned about is a huge crack appearing in between where the plastic of the display to where the plastic meets the body. I took the plastic border around the display off to clean dust and dirst behind it, and very recently noticed it, I was not pleased. I attached a picture below to show what I'm talking about.

What I'm trying to say is, while I love my MacBook, the structure is not doing too well because I am a heavy user, I guess. I assume you would be too, since yo are in college and have to move it around and such.

Attached Files:

22. gothamm macrumors 6502a

A mac pro with the 3.33 ghz upgrade should be ample for your needs.

23. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    So, did you post this on the wrong thread, or are you being sarcastic, or just plain stupid? ;):p:D

24. ahm macrumors member

Maybe your old laptop just needs a RAM replacement or upgrade. Macs have problems like that too sometimes.. they're not invincible. You'll see a folder with a question mark that blinks, then you come on here and ask "what's that blinking question mark?" And any computer with ANY operating system will crash if the mother board (or logic board) and/or RAM malfunctions for any reason, whether due to abuse, age, defects, etc.

Anyway, refurbs are pretty cool. Cheap and you get Apple Care.

25. danielpicasso macrumors member

danielpicasso

go refurb....

i just got delivery of a refurb MB also at $749.- personally i like it better than brand new for it has firewire where new ones do not (why????). its equal to new in my experience.