I've had no success using Time Capsule as backup drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trh74, Jan 15, 2009.

1. trh74 macrumors newbie

This may get long, but bear with me. I want to give as many details as possible.

A little over a month ago I bought a new 1TB Time Capsule to replace my old Airport Extreme. I set it up and my wireless internet was working fine, however I couldn’t get it to backup my Power Mac G5 (via ethernet connection). I kept getting the “could not mount backup volume” error message. I searched many forums and found people with similar issues, but I was never able to find a solution to my problem.

After the 10.5.6 Mac OS update I thought I may have hope, but the only thing it did was give me this new error message when I try to choose my backup disc:

The network backup volume could not be mounted because there was a problem with the network username or password.

Open System Preferences and choose Time Machine then re-select the Time Machine backup destination to enter the correct username and password.

I tried that and now I get this error message:

Keychain error -25299 occurred while creating a System Keychain entry for the username “Tracy Hollifield” and URL “afp://Tracy%20Hollifield@THTC.local/THTCBackup”.

You can try using the Keychain Access utility to edit or repair your System Keychain.

Also, when I click the “i” beside the red “Failed”, this is what it tells me:

The network backup volume could not be mounted because there was a problem with the network username or password.

I’ve checked and double-checked my Time Capsule username and password and they are correct. Some of the things I’ve tried: changing Time Capsule username and password, making sure username wasn’t too long or contained funky characters, verifying and repairing my HD permissions, reseting Time Capsule and starting from scratch, making sure my firewall was set to allow for all incoming connections, etc...

For grins I decided I would try to back up my old iBook, and it worked - both wirelessly and connected via ethernet cable. This leads me to believe that it’s something in my Power Mac G5. I’m a long time Apple user and I’m usually pretty good at troubleshooting and solving my own problems, but this one has me stumped. I guess if I don’t find a solution in the next couple of days, I’ll have to give Apple tech support a call (something I’m trying to avoid).

If anyone else has experienced this problem or has a possible solution, I’d love to hear it.

Thanks.... Tracy

2. msevild macrumors regular

Well a possible suggestion for you is to try doing First Aid on your system keychain. To do this do a spotlight search(magnifying glass in upper right corner) for keychain and open up the keychain access program. Once open, choose Keychain First Aid from the KeyChain Access menu item and try verifying and repairing your system keychain. Let me know how this goes and I'll try to follow up with any further troubles(I've never encountered this issue before so curious to know if what I stated fixed it).

3. trh74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion!

I just tried to verify and repair the System Keychain. It reported no problems.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Anyone find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem.

5. trh74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I eventually found a workaround by backing up while signed in as a guest.

There was a firmware update yesterday... don't know if that had any fixes in it or not.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea I was also able to connect to the Time Capsule with TIme Machine when I used file sharing with "Connect With Account" instead of "Connect with Time Capsule password".

Late last night I erased the Time Capsule Disk (using airport utility) and then I could connect using the "normal" connect settings with no problems or errors. I performed a fresh backup while sleeping last night and everything is working fine now.

FYI, my issues began after I upgraded to the recent 7.4.1 firmware.

Cheers.