I've jailbroken, can I upgrade to iPhone OS 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ScrappyDoo80, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo80 macrumors member

Hi all,

Rather rookie here...

Bought my first iPhone (32GB 3GS) and switched to AT&T in late July..

Maybe in Nov? I figured out how to jailbreak with Blackra!n, installed Cydia, and started modding. Mostly everything worked out.

One thing, last Tues or Wed (I was on vacation and up late drinking and playing with the phone) all the sudden it locked up... Never had happen before. All the sudden the Sad Iphone face came up!!! I was like WTF?!?!?!?! And it said something about Safe Mode... Then reset it self, and all was like new. It all happened so fast I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Now I am concerned, after doing research about that and the "Bricking" etc... If when OS 4.0 comes out, can I just click "Upgrade" and go through the Apple upgrade? WIll I be okay? Am I stuck jailbroken?

Cause also, if I'm jailbroken I've "voided my warranty" and Apple wouldn't help me right? But if I go back to apple's OS (Specifically the new one) I'm all good right?

Thanks alot for everyones help and input, it's much appreciated.

-Scrap

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Short: Yes you can.

Long: Yes, but you will lose all jailbroken apps. Your phone will be like new and UNJAILBREAKABLE until the hackers break it. This could take anywhere from 1 weeks to a few months. Its up to you. If you want to, though, make sure you hit restore, then go to 3.1.2 FIRST and then 4.0 to prevent any problems.

EDIT: Also, ignore the safe mode. It happens, just restart. Nothing too big.

3. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

actually to get rid of all jailbreak data, you want to do a dfu restore. google how to put ur phone into dfu mode.

4. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

OK so in your professional opinions what do I want to do?

I guess wait and see what 4.0 comes out with?

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is not true. Restoring and setting up as a new phone has exactly the same effect as restoring in DFU mode. The only reason to use DFU mode is if your phone won't boot normally and you need to bypass iBoot. Otherwise, the restore process is exactly the same.

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Well...if you want the rumored backgrounding...download backgrounder. If you want gestures...you need a new iPhone (4g) to come out.

Unless apple unveils some ridiculous MUST HAVE feature, its MUCH more valuable to wait impatiently for a 4.0 jailbreak.

7. dread macrumors 6502a

The 4.0 software is not likely to be released before june anyway, so why worry about it now.

8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

It's easy to get out of a jailbreak, just hit upgrade when it's out if you want to upgrade. Of course you'll lose every jailbroken app. But, the rumors of 4.0 make it sound really awesome so it's up to you. Just do what every jailbroken person is going to do, see 4.0 and balance the pros and cons of waiting for a new jailbreak and the new features of the new OS.

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

All said earlier, but thought I'd add my two cents.

You can easily UN-jailbreak. You can't so easily RE-jailbreak the new 4.0 OS.

You'll have to wait for a jailbreak on 4.0 to be released. If you're like me you'll be waiting until there is a 4.0 jailbreak before you upgrade your phone to 4.0 anyway.

But as mentioned... Short story is you can just click upgrade and go to 4.0 just fine but you may not be able to jailbreak again if you don't follow advice here or from the dev team blog.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But if your ECID's are on-file in Cydia, you can always downgrade to 3.1.2 again. The only real thing to worry about is if there's a baseband upgrade; best to wait for a new version of PwnageTool.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

So the all around smartest thing to do is to wait for a 4.0 JB.

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If there is no baseband update, then there is no reason to wait to upgrade. Just wait for MuscleNerd to give the okay, and you can update without worry. You can then try out the new features knowing that if you miss your jailbreak too much you can always downgrade and rejailbreak.

13. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Thank you. +1

Maybe it'll eventually sink in for him.

-- Nathan

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I wouldn't count on it. So far he's proved incorrigible.